Can't Give Them Away!!!

Elana

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting someone to take brown "mystery" snails, I've kinda fallen into breeding my snails but after the first batch wasn't easy to get off my hands I have quite a lot of brown adults, the magenta ones sold very quickly and I even included a free brown with each order, I've now learned to cull the brown ones early. I've posted them for free on ebay for just $7 for shipping, I've put them on Craigslist for free! No one wants them, I use to give my over stock of guppies and snails to the closest pet store for 2 hours around, unfortunately they had a fire and closed down the aquarium side of the business. I'm having to cull so many, but I do still enjoy breeding them, I can give my guppies away on ebae but not the snails, any ideas? Also what is the most humane way to dispose of the snails, sometimes they are nickle size before I know for sure if they will be purple or brow.

Dava

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Elana said:
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting someone to take brown "mystery" snails, I've kinda fallen into breeding my snails but after the first batch wasn't easy to get off my hands I have quite a lot of brown adults, the magenta ones sold very quickly and I even included a free brown with each order, I've now learned to cull the brown ones early. I've posted them for free on ebay for just $7 for shipping, I've put them on Craigslist for free! No one wants them, I use to give my over stock of guppies and snails to the closest pet store for 2 hours around, unfortunately they had a fire and closed down the aquarium side of the business. I'm having to cull so many, but I do still enjoy breeding them, I can give my guppies away on ebae but not the snails, any ideas? Also what is the most humane way to dispose of the snails, sometimes they are nickle size before I know for sure if they will be purple or brow.
Hmm, I don't suppose you or anybody you know has any species of loaches in their aquariums? My dojo loaches absolutely love their crushed snails! Puffers sure do, too.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once you hit 50 posts you can use the buy sell or trade section on here.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dava said:
Really? Heck yeah! Make posts, or reply?
david1978 said:
If you want we can keep this thread going and see how many you can get.
Please don't post to simply boost the count. This will be noticed quickly and often deleted.

The correct answer is become an active member, actively contribute thoughtfully and you'll get there in no time.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could try putting them up as a $1 auction on aquabid and just list the shipping price. Shoot for 4-6 + $7 shipping and I'm sure someone will bite

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy said:
Please don't post to simply boost the count. This will be noticed quickly and often deleted.

The correct answer is become an active member, actively contribute thoughtfully and you'll get there in no time.
Some of these threads get fun and we learn a lot about each other.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
david1978 said:
Some of these threads get fun and we learn a lot about each other.
And sometimes people are erroneously encouraged to jack their post count, hence my reply.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
... ok... lol

Well, a stragity that you can use is to not actually list the shipping, Mark it as free then sell the snails for whatever shipping is. You can do what someone’s else said and do 3-4 for $7 with free shipping. Free shipping can sometimes be more attractive than a free item, odd, but it’s true. They’ll feel like they’ll be getting a great deal and have free shipping. Who wouldn’t want that?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
david1978 said:
Sorry. Won't do it again.
No problem

Platylover said:
... ok... lol

Well, a stragity that you can use is to not actually list the shipping, Mark it as free then sell the snails for whatever shipping is. You can do what someone’s else said and do 3-4 for $7 with free shipping. Free shipping can sometimes be more attractive than a free item, odd, but it’s true. They’ll feel like they’ll be getting a great deal and have free shipping. Who wouldn’t want that?
Sounds like a marketing major right there.

Dava

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
You could try putting them up as a $1 auction on aquabid and just list the shipping price. Shoot for 4-6 + $7 shipping and I'm sure someone will bite
Good idea. If my tank were established (not even up yet ) I'd certainly bite, give my dojo loache. Also maybe try ebay
Platylover said:
... ok... lol

You. Are. Brilliant.

ZEKE KING

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
People also love to see "shipping included" in a headline, so another alternative might just to be list it for the cost of shipping. Of course this might mean you have to limit to a certain region since shipping internationally etc. would bump that up -- but certain countries have laws about importing snails anyways from outside the area, so that might work out anyways.

OP
Elana

Elana

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dava said:
Hmm, I don't suppose you or anybody you know has any species of loaches in their aquariums? My dojo loaches absolutely love their crushed snails! Puffers sure do, too.
No unfortunately I'm in WV not any aquarium hobiests in the area, I have 2 male betas but only one will eat the fry

Rtessy said:
Thank you, I'm not aware of that site

Platylover said:
... ok... lol

Thanks for the idea

ZEKE KING said:
People also love to see "shipping included" in a headline, so another alternative might just to be list it for the cost of shipping. Of course this might mean you have to limit to a certain region since shipping internationally etc. would bump that up -- but certain countries have laws about importing snails anyways from outside the area, so that might work out anyways.
I don't even mind loosing money or spending a bit for my hobby of breeding the snails

I still haven't heard of a humane method for culling snails, as I said they are often nickle size before I can absolutely determine if they are purple or brown, I hate having to cull, but it is s part of breeding (of any species) I want to know the best humane method for nickle size snails

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Elana said:
I still haven't heard of a humane method for culling snails, as I said they are often nickle size before I can absolutely determine if they are purple or brown, I hate having to cull, but it is s part of breeding (of any species) I want to know the best humane method for nickle size snails
Maybe get assassin snails? They can kill mystery snails if there’s a group of them. I will be kind of slow though unless you get a lot

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Put them in water then in the freezer. The cold will lower their metabolism and force them to sleep, then they don't wake up. Probably a bit uncomfy, but not for long.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We’re talking about snails, right? If you’re trying to get rid of them, then just squish them.

New Threads