Can't Get Test Kit

1. O

Omkar Varhadi New Member Member

Hello everyone
    I have a question for you all. I live in India and there are no Indian companies which produce aquarium test kits. I searched at few online stores in India,but the kits are out of stock for months. So it's not easy to buy water testing equipment.
    I have a betta splendens in a 5.6 gallon. I read somewhere that for betta tanks one should check pH , it didn't talk about ammonia,nitrite,nitrate. I can get beneficial bacteria online and also pH paper strips(hope that would work fine). So will it be ok if I test for pH and just add beneficial bacteria to the tank as I can't really check ammonia, nitrate, nitrite .

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I have never used a test kit and I never will. IMO they are completely unnecessary as long as you keep up on maintenance which everyone should. Is the tank cycled? If it is then you don't need to use beneficial bacteria.

3. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

I don't really know, have you tried looking on amazon for an API Freshwater Master Aquarium Test Kit? I think thats the best kit you can get. Maybe try looking on US sites, I don't really know.

Test kits are 100% needing, you first will not be able to even cycle your tank with out knowing the water stats. Your fish could be ill, and the first question asked is going to be what are your water stats?

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I will test the water when the fish get ill, but I have gotten past the beginner stage so I have no need of test kits since I have cycled media and I have not had to deal with a sick fish for over 4 years. Also it would appear that the OP is not a beginner either.

5. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

If you have a cycled tank...I have 3 of my bettas in 1-5 gallon, 2-5.5 gallon tanks. I do weekly water changes of 50% and that keeps my nitrates below 10ppm.
    It is important to note that I don't have those "fat" bettas. I am very cautious of the amounts they are fed due to all the health problems I deal with here regarding overfed bettas. Mine get 3 small pellets most days. One day is two frozen blood worms and one day is 4 frozen brine shrimp. They get fasted one day.
    If your feeding schedule is far different from this, you will need water changes twice a week for that volume of water.
    If your tank is not cycled, you should be doing daily water changes.

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I don't usually check my parameters each time I change the water. The only thing I check is the PH and that's because I have crush coral in there and I need to monitor it so it doesn't crash and I can replace it.

As for the OP if everything is running well then you don't need the kit right away. It's only when trouble comes around is when you do need it. Perhaps try sites like Amazon or even Alibaba since they are a Chinese company, maybe they ship to India.

7. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

I only test when I'm cycling and/or my fish are acting sick. If there are no problems, you don't really need to get a $60 test kit with probably $1000 shipping charge to India unless 1. you love those fish like your children, or 2. Intend to pursue the hobby very seriously.

I'm neither of those. My test kit was $4 at a thrift store, and that's the only reason I have it. Before, I'd sometimes bring my water to PetSmart for testing (though there probably aren't any in India).

I think, if your fish is healthy and your wc are in order, you don't need one.