Cant Get Nitrites Down?

alison13

Reaction score
Hi, im fish in cycling a 5gallom with a couple of little plants and a female betta, using seachem prime and stability. its been about 4 days now, and the current reading is 0 ammonia, 5ppm nitrites and 10/20nitrate. Ive been doing 50% water changes daily, in fact i just did one. I had ammonia yesterday which is now gone which is good but the nitrite is still highest on the chart, i checked just after doing a 50% water change and its still 2ppm! Should i stop dosing stability or keep going for the 7 days it says to? And should my nitrites go down eventually? i read somewhere it could take a few days even, my cycle is happening pretty fast so im hoping it wont be that long..thanks for reading.

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
5PPM nitrites is too high for fishes, looking at your levels couple of things jumps to my mind, either your water source has nitrites or your tanks had too high nitrites which after several water changes is still beyond 5ppm. At these levels, nitrites will most likely stall your cycle. Wish fish in cycle you will need to keep nitrites below 1ppm to have prime keep them safe.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A betta in a 5 gallon will cycle itself no problem. Keep on eye on the numbers and do water changes. As long as you arent overfeeding the fish, you shouldnt have any problems.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom