Can’t Get My Rummynose To Color Up

AquaticJ

Hey everyone, so I’m going to see if anyone has any tips. I have a school of 6 Rummynose in my 20 long along with 6 Cardinal Tetras and a breeding pair of Rams. I cannot get these guys to color up! They’re constantly pale. They’re eating fine and getting a very well rounded diet, weekly water changes, plenty of cover, no aggression from anyone. I’m honestly perplexed.

Parameters:
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
10 nitrates
Temp: 84
Ph: 6.8 stable, soft water

Discus-Tang

When did you get them?

LeviS

Maybe the water is a little warm for them? I’ve seen temperature from 72-81 degrees. Higher temperature for breeding. Just a thought. Btw I added co2 to my 20 long and apparently it has reduced the ph and my rams are now loving it and colored up nicely. (Had previously asked you about them in general).

DoubleDutch

Could it be you got another species of rummynoses (there are three)

AquaticJ

Maybe the water is a little warm for them? I’ve seen temperature from 72-81 degrees. Higher temperature for breeding. Just a thought. Btw I added co2 to my 20 long and apparently it has reduced the ph and my rams are now loving it and colored up nicely. (Had previously asked you about them in general).
Nah, people commonly keep them with Discus and Rams because they prefer water in the 80’s. Theyre from northern South America, very close to where Rams are from. If you go to a lot of sites, liveaquria is a good example, 72-80 is a range used for soooo many fish. It’s hard to find real temperature requirements. That’s good to hear about your Rams man!
Could it be you got another species of rummynoses (there are three)
That’s good thinking, unfortunately they’re all true Rummynose. Perplexed yet? They’re on white sand so I’m changing to black to see if that does anything.

BringKermitBack close to a month now!

DoubleDutch

Nah, people commonly keep them with Discus and Rams because they prefer water in the 80’s. Theyre from northern South America, very close to where Rams are from. If you go to a lot of sites, liveaquria is a good example, 72-80 is a range used for soooo many fish. It’s hard to find real temperature requirements. That’s good to hear about your Rams man!
That’s good thinking, unfortunately they’re all true Rummynose. Perplexed yet? They’re on white sand so I’m changing to black to see if that does anything.

BringKermitBack close to a month now!
owww the substrate definitely will make a difference.

if u want to feed them adult brine shrimp that will help with coloring them more red around there heads and other live foods blood worms to bring them into breeding condition and sparlina flke food

AquaticJ

if u want to feed them adult brine shrimp that will help with coloring them more red around there heads and other live foods blood worms to bring them into breeding condition and sparlina flke food
They get frozen spirulina brine among other things!

VeiltailKing

The substrate should make a difference. Just like when keeping discus some people will keep them with specific colored backgrounds because they will try to blend in. So, if the discus are kept with white backgrounds they will generally become pale.

AquaticJ

Just changed it, they’re obviously stressed so I’ll give it a while. Found more Ram eggs too (like I need anymore) lol.

AquaticJ

Well, I’m dumb lol. It worked. Well I guess not because I bought that black sand yesterday before this thread, but the fact that it took that long to figure it lol. Thanks everyone!

hI aquatic.j they should color up then if they are the true rummy nose

AquaticJ

All better

Attachments

• B73A3B4C-979D-4012-B384-857CAE24815E.jpeg
    B73A3B4C-979D-4012-B384-857CAE24815E.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 85

DioAquatics

It's amazing how much the fishes color is effected by the color of the substrate. Glad you figured out why your rummynose were pale

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gudgie
Replies
Views
Roxie159
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
  • Mk47582