cant find dead fish

1. joe Member Member

1 of my platies died like 3 weeks ago when i was at a camp and my mom didnt get it out. I looked for it the next day and it wasnt there. Where could it have gone? Is it bad to never find a dead fish?

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It could have been eaten by your other fish. that's not uncommon.

3. FishFan Member Member

Either your other fish ate them & if you have snails, they suck the guts right out of a dead fish-gross, but yeah, really. Sorry your fish died.

4. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear that Joe but dont worry - the others probably had a good meal ;)

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

That snail-gut thing is pretty disgusting :eek:

6. Adz Member Member

The same thing happend to me a few weeks ago, I couldnt find it anywhere :)

7. fletch Member Member

I had a large sword tail and a large cory in my tank. They both died in the same week and the first I knew of it was an awfull smell and cludy water. I looked for ages for any remains but couldnt find any. I couldnt get rid of the cloudiness so I cleaned the filter. In the filter was tons of green goo, it definately wasnt algae so I presume it was dissolved fish. gross!!

8. Adz Member Member

That is gross!! :-X

9. fletch Member Member

Put me off curry, beans on toast and anything else remotely wet looking for a while

10. joe Member Member

that is the sickest thing i have ever heard :p

11. Evan1 Initiate Member

Sorry to hear about your fish Joe. The same thing happened to me about a year ago, I had a large Gourami, about 3.5" long, and overnight, literally, he just DISSAPEARED!! No remains, no one said they cleaned up his dead body, Nothing!! Just gone. He also didn't "jump ship" in the middle of the night!! Weirdd!!! : ;)

12. Evan1 Initiate Member

Sorry to hear about your fish Joe. The same thing happened to me about a year ago, I had a large Gourami, about 3.5" long, and overnight, literally, he just DISSAPEARED!! No remains, no one said they cleaned up his dead body, Nothing!! Just gone. He also didn't "jump ship" in the middle of the night!! Weirdd!!! : ;)

13. AquaGirl Initiate Member

Yes Joe, it was probably eaten by other fish in the tank. When I stop by the pet store, I often happen to see some dead fish in some tanks, floating in the water, and all other fish pecking at it. For some reason fish eat other fish even of the same kind when they see one die. Anyone knows why?

14. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Probably a natural instinct to clean the area they live in? Like you would move a dead body out of your house instead of letting it rot? Ugh thats really grim sorry :-[

15. Adz Member Member

ya would'nt eat it tho :p LOL

16. joe Member Member

that is true i wouldnt eat a dead body

17. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

HAhaha no i definitely wouldn't - but I think most animals would do the same. It's just their instinct to keep their living area clean I guess - at least we can move or bury something icky but I dont think you'd see the fishies shovelling gravel over the body ;)

18. Durbkat Member Member

That happened to me to when I was about 10 years old I had to gold fish in a fish bowl and one of them died and when I came home All I found was the bones of the dead fish then the other goldfish died a few weeks later because the fish he ate was sick.

19. hydreloy Initiate Member

Well I know that it is gross to some people and it is very interesting to others, but the realty of this situation is that if and when a fish dies, and if you see it floating. You should check for icky, because if your fish does eat that dead one...It will die.  But on the other hand, if you see no icky, I would leave it because it is a great protein  meal for your fish...Makes them "strong like bull"...lol..Not really.

So the next time you go out and buy some fish whereever...check to see if there are any dead fish in the very same tank that you are getting the fish in...Check the dead one's for icky...and If there is icky on it, then I recommend not buying the fish.

If and when I do get a dead fish, I put it in my crawfish tank, and the crawfish disposses it.   Mmuh ha ha ha  ;D

20. fletch Member Member

whats icky again?