Cant figure out what's wrong with my water

billrandag

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here, as I'm running out of places to turn to.

I've been dealing with aquariums for about 10 years now, I've had everything from 5 gallons to 180 over the years. I recently moved to Dallas and my third floor apartment obviously had restrictions on the size of aquarium I could have, so I settled for a bashful 30 gallon aquarium.

Anyway, its been set up roughly 4-5 weeks now, I put in my first oscar a few days ago. Water temp is 75 F, GH was 180, KH was 180, ph was 7.3, nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 15-20. Nonetheless he was dead within hours. I bought some water conditioner and tried again a few days later and got the same result.

Anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oscars do not belong in anything less than a 60 minimum, it sounds like you have something going on in your water, did you cycle the tank?
tank filtration?
ammonia?
what did you dechlorinate with the second time and how?
how did you acclimate them?

OP
B

billrandag

Reaction score
I have a 120 gal at a friends house, plan was to keep the oscars until they get to about 3-4 inches and then move them.
Yeah the tank has been cycling for a little over a month, fluval canister filter, checked ammonia as well. I just used API conditioner to dechlorinate. Dripped tank water while I floated the bag to adjust temperature.
I know it has to be the water, just running out of ideas on what to test for

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Something has to be off in your water for the poor fish to die that quickly. Most likely Ammonia.
What kind of test kit are you using?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Run carbon .
If your parameters are acceptable then it is something in the water , either from source or leaching from tank or deco?
What is in the tank for deco ?
This is what carbon is for .To remove unnatural contaminants .

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom