Help Can't figure out what's wrong with my Betta

Kellyc

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My betta hasn't been doing well for about a month now and I'm at a loss. I don't know how to help him. Originally he was bloated so I fasted him for 3 days and now feed him very little each day 1-3 pellets depending on what he can get in his mouth(which whenever had a problem before with these) he definitely has fin rot, possibly Popeye, maybe even mouth rot. I keep researching and just confused myself. I treated him with jungle fungus clear and seachem kanaplex. Today is last day of treatment then need to let tank rest for a week. I bought a new tank setup cause I truly believe the tank I have isn't correctly working with the filter I had to buy to replace the one that came with it(that's when all my problems started)can I transfer him over today if he is still showing signs of breathing heavy and lethargic? Would you? Also any advice would be great on appearance or what I'm experiencing. All his water perameters are fine and the 5 gallon is heated but want to get him to a 6 gallon new tank. I don't even know what to keep doing fishworld, I don't want to keep medicating him but him trying to even get his food makes him lean on his side and breathe hard like it was the hardest thing ever. I know this is long but I'm desperate for all the advice. I hate seeing him like this. Right now he's looking bad, sometimes he looks way more lively then this. Just a hour ago he was swimming around looking at me normal in tank.

Attachments

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would stop using medication. Move him to the other tank, make sure he has a betta leaf or something to rest on at the surface.

Salt baths are a better way to treat finrot, mouthrot, and even popeye. :)

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AquaCaitlin said:
I would stop using medication. Move him to the other tank, make sure he has a betta leaf or something to rest on at the surface.

Salt baths are a better way to treat finrot, mouthrot, and even popeye. :)
Salt baths are probably the best option

OP
Kellyc

Kellyc

Reaction score
Ok will do. The tank he is in now has the little small white worms that look like pieces of hair and was wanting to get him away from them but I guess there's no way if I have to bring over his old decor right? Do you think moving him will make him worse, or worth a shot? I can wait on the transfer but since I need to get medicine out of tank today I thought it could be a great time to just do it.

vampireshrimpfan said:
Salt baths are probably the best option
Should I do a salt bath today or try waiting a day or so after transfer

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If there is worms in the tank than chances are they’re also inside him. Are you treating for parasites?

Transferring him, if done gently, shouldn’t cause too much stress.

Kellyc said:
Should I do a salt bath today or try waiting a day or so after transfer
I would wait a day or so, just so he has some time to settle.

OP
Kellyc

Kellyc

Reaction score
No cause I've read that they don't hurt the fish. Maybe that's the problem which I kept thinking but read so much that said it wouldn't hurt him. But past week I have seen one or 2 crawling on him

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kellyc said:
No cause I've read that they don't hurt the fish. Maybe that's the problem which I kept thinking but read so much that said it wouldn't hurt him. But past week I have seen one or 2 crawling on him
It depends what kind of worm it is. Some are harmless, others not so much. I would post a separate thread asking for an ID on the worms as I am not a parasite expert.

OP
Kellyc

Kellyc

Reaction score
Ok going to do right now thank you for your suggestions and advice. After I get a response about worms I'll transfer over if they say it's safe to do it.

New Threads