Can't decide which fish to get

Suni

Reaction score
I have had a few cichlids in the past. They all sadly passed away. I have learned a lot more now and still have a lot of food left from then. Namely tetrabit, tetra algae pro wafers and bloodworms.

I was planning on donating the food , but then quarantine happened and I decided to give the hobby another try , this time with proper plants and food. But I cant seem to decide which species to get. I have a very small 20 litre tank , and plan on keeping only one fish at a time. Any reccomendations on a good beginner fish that can eat both algae and meat and can thrive in such a space?

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, when you say you plan on keeping one fish do you mean one species of fish or just one fish?

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could get a betta. They don't eat algae, but you could get a snail or two. You just have to be careful what kind of snail you get, because a betta could attack some snails.

OP
Suni

Suni

Reaction score
Seasoldier said:
Hi, when you say you plan on keeping one fish do you mean one species of fish or just one fish?
just one fish . i have had issues with aggression. so only one fish for now :)

OP
Suni

Suni

Reaction score
Yale Kim said:
Maybe mollys.
thank you. so they can have tetra bits?

t
flyinGourami said:
Mollys are too big for that tank size.
You could get a trio of endlers. I like someones suggestion of snails, I'de recommend nerites.
thank you :]

[/QUOTE]
my friend recommended a blood parrot. is that okay ?

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Suni said:
just one fish . i have had issues with aggression. so only one fish for now :)
OK then I would go for a fish that likes to be solitary & in that respect you couldn't do much better than a Betta (Siamese fighting fish) you can get many different colour & form variants & they do have a personality, as said above they don't eat algae but if you only have one fish & you watch how much you feed you shouldn't have too much of a problem with algae & if some does crop up just get a couple of nerite or military helmet snails & they'll keep your tank clean.

Seasoldier

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
flyinGourami said:
Mollys are too big for that tank size.
Imo you could get a trio of endlers. I like someones suggestion of snails, I'de recommend a nerite or two.
I agree, Mollies are too big & they don't do well on their own, they like company of their own species.

OP
Suni

Suni

Reaction score
n
flyinGourami said:
Blood parrots get way way too big for a 20 liter tank, and I don't think they eat algae.
noted.

Seasoldier said:
OK then I would go for a fish that likes to be solitary & in that respect you couldn't do much better than a Betta (Siamese fighting fish) you can get many different colour & form variants & they do have a personality, as said above they don't eat algae but if you only have one fish & you watch how much you feed you shouldn't have too much of a problem with algae & if some does crop up just get a couple of nerite or military helmet snails & they'll keep your tank clean.
thank you .:)

New Threads