Question Can’t decide! Bolivian ram or honey gourami?

FreshwaterFins99

Reaction score
Hi fellow Fishlorians!

I have been planning a 20g high tank for a while now but am struggling while thinking about a “centerpiece” fish. I am hoping for 6 panda cories, 6 green neons, and either 2 Bolivians (male female), or three honey gourami. Which do you think would work best here?

I know I’ve been indecisive and I apologize for all the questions.
Thank you!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go for the Honeys. In a 20h you will have lots of bottom motion and just 6 green neons in the middle /top with the Rams. They are more bottom dwellers.

toomanyfishes

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mayhe you could do both?
Stocking would look like
x6 Cories
x6 neons
x1 honey gourami
x1 bolivian ram
This is just my opinion, I'm not sure if others have done this, but I wouldn't put a pair of any cichlid (even peaceful Bolivians) with cories in the confines of a 20 gallon. They get very territorial and defensive when breeding, and cories are no match for a cichlid.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My rams don't get very territorial or defensive when they breed, mine are lightly territorial. My whiptail catfish tends to get to their eggs quite often. Though I would still choose the gourami over the rams in a 20 tall, they suit it better imo. The honeys would prefer to be kept in a group, so I wouldn't recommend a single.

tonysharks

Reaction score
I have a 20H tank and just added 3 honey gouramis. I was debating between the German blue Rams or the honeys and after some research, advice here and talking to the LFS I went with the honeys. They are beautiful fish and according to the fish store employee I little hardier and less territorial in my community tank. I have 3 honey gouramis 3 platy and 4 zebra Danios and so far they are all getting along great

dwc13

Reaction score
I kept several Honey Gouramis in my 45G heavily planted tank. They're fantastic community fish, with one notable exception. Once they start breeding, the dad will aggressively chase away every other fish -- including the mom -- from the bubble nest at the top of the aquarium. So if you have male & female Honey Gouramis in that aquarium, plan on having another tank on standby just in case you have to temporarily remove a fish or 2 for its own good.

Fortunately, I had a large sword plant that had several floating runners with good sized plants that broke up the sightlines and provided hiding places for other fish throughout the upper half of the tank. I also anchored a plastic floating plant near the corner where the bubble nest was. Worked out well for the dad, the fry, and the other fish in the aquarium.

Michelle2468135

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm getting some honeys for my 29 gallon project. They are a fantastic fish but the rams are also on my bucket list. Either way you will end up with some great fish. Good luck!

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Even when breeding Honey's "aggression" is rarely little more than chasing :D
They're one of the few that keeping males together is usually without issues and they have such super little characters :)

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
20 H are really difficult to work with - to be honest I would get neither and be happy with increasing the number of neon and panda; and maybe add some other small dither like forktail rainbow. A 20 long would be great for bolivian rams. Anyway i see from the thread you will likely go with the honey but i think you would be better off sticking with smaller fishes in a 20H.

OP
FreshwaterFins99

FreshwaterFins99

Reaction score
Fish Personality is very entertaining to watch! That sounds cool that I could keep multiple males. Since honeys will fit the tank better I think I will go with them. I was thinking of Bolivians for their personality but if honeys are personable as well, they sound great!

jake37 said:
20 H are really difficult to work with - to be honest I would get neither and be happy with increasing the number of neon and panda; and maybe add some other small dither like forktail rainbow. A 20 long would be great for bolivian rams. Anyway i see from the thread you will likely go with the honey but i think you would be better off sticking with smaller fishes in a 20H.
My family would like a bigger centerpiece fish but thanks for the suggestion!

New Threads