Can't Control Nitrite - Please help Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by parvataneni, Apr 13, 2010.

1. parvataneniValued MemberMember

Hi All,

To cut story short, my 10g tank is setup almost 3 weeks back and and since last 2 weeks i am changing 40-50 % water change i was able to control Ammonia and Nitrate but Nitrite Levels unable to control.Here are reading on avg compared from last week to today

Last week

Ammonia = 1
    Nitrite = 5
    Nitrate = 5

Today Just now :

Ammonia = 0 - .25 (almost 0 )
    Nitrite = 5
    Nitrate = 5 - 10

Initially i added Superbac as startup (couldn't find TSS) used Nutrafin Aqua Plus conditioner. but still even after these many days i was not able to control the Nitrite levels. Twice till now i did Vaccum Gravel and water is crystal clear and all my Danios 6 of them are happy and really enjoying .

Here are the Pictures of my Fish tank.

Please help

Attached Files:

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

What you are experiencing is called the Nitrogen Cycle

This is normal and part of the natural process, and can take upwards of 4 weeks to complete.

You need to be patient, and keep up your daily water changes to remove the toxic nitrogenous waste products. I would also suggest getting your hands on some Seachem Prime and dosing your change water with each water change.

The Prime will detoxify the ammonia for 24hrs at a time, while your cycle completes.

Don't panic, and be patient, when your biological colony establishes, and your cycle finishes, you will find your will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0-5 nitrate.

HTH

3. navyscuba

navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

4. OP
    OP
    p

parvataneniValued MemberMember

I am using API Master Test Kit. Okay i will start using Prime Starting Today for couple more weeks and then monitor the Reading.

Is that okay if i do 50 % water change every day ? would that be okay for my Danios ?

Thanks

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

50% WC's should be fine :)

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Nice looking tank, Keep up the water changes and all should be great. :;hf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice