Can't connect from Chrome

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Everything was looking good, then all of a sudden, about 30 minutes ago,, I can't connect. Ping and TRACERT both worked intermittently, but browser wouldn't connect. I tried it from my phone, and it works. This post is from Edge, and it's working.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Best Answer - View Mike's answer

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes they are working on the server today. Posted a notice at the top of the forum.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea it was down most of saturday. One comment on notice - would be nice if possible a notice could be put up while the server is down - just a blank page with a note. Not sure if that is possible. With the site down the note (as part of the site) was not visible. Not a totally bad thing it was down as there were other things that needed doing that got done. It appears that loaches really like it when you clean up their cage.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All I got all day was site timed out cannot be reached. I did get more done yesterday :p it really was boring though.
Mike do you know when they are doing maintenance? If it was just chrome a heads up? Could have switched browsers.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was the site. I took the time to check multiple browsers and multiple ips (it looks like they use a cdn and then godaddy for hosting but not 100% sure). The funky thing is i would occasionally get email updates - not sure if they were queued and were sent while they were working or if the site was up for brief periods during the day. I was pretty busy so didn't check that often.

StarGirl15 said:
All I got all day was site timed out cannot be reached. I did get more done yesterday :p it really was boring though.
Mike do you know when they are doing maintenance? If it was just chrome a heads up? Could have switched browsers.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
It was the site. I took the time to check multiple browsers and multiple ips (it looks like they use a cdn and then godaddy for hosting but not 100% sure). The funky thing is i would occasionally get email updates - not sure if they were queued and were sent while they were working or if the site was up for brief periods during the day. I was pretty busy so didn't check that often.
Well way to go on a holiday weekend :rolleyes: oh well got more done....

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey look on the bright side - it is up (so far) today and we presume monday so that 2 out of 3 ;)
-
Alternatively this is probably the hobby side of things and they probably took advantage of the long holiday (when they didn't have to work) to work on the hobby...
-
Now if all the members donated $10 or $20 a year so it became a paid job the matter would be different... Believe me it can be a *lot* of work to run these sites (and that ignores the moderation). I just kind of wish when they took down the site they would put up a simple blank page (single html) that indicates the site was down for extended maintenance.

StarGirl15 said:
Well way to go on a holiday weekend :rolleyes: oh well got more done....

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
Hey look on the bright side - it is up (so far) today and we presume monday so that 2 out of 3 ;)
-
Alternatively this is probably the hobby side of things and they probably took advantage of the long holiday (when they didn't have to work) to work on the hobby...
-
Now if all the members donated $10 or $20 a year so it became a paid job the matter would be different... Believe me it can be a *lot* of work to run these sites (and that ignores the moderation). I just kind of wish when they took down the site they would put up a simple blank page (single html) that indicates the site was down for extended maintenance.
Or even a.... hey guys I'm doing maintenance this weekend just a heads up......lol I couldn't even get to the site to see the notice on top. Wasn't there Friday night.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now its only on my phone but not computer. On chrome or edge.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I lay the blame on myself, lol. I don't read the notices at the top of the screen. That's on me, because they were there. Like I said in my original post, using Chrome, it was there one minute and gone the next, I tried pinging, and more often than not, it failed. I tried tracert, and more often than not, it failed. At first it looked like Chrome, because I could connect with my phone (Chrome also), and with MS Edge, but as it turned out, all three were intermittent. So, what do yo do when life throws you lemons? Pucker up and suck them :).

I use LibreOffice instead of MS Office, it's free, and (mostly) compatible with MS Office. One of it's applications is "Draw", similar to GIMP (freeware) or Adobe Photoshop, so I started a BOM for the heater controller I'm wanting to build, based on the Ink-Bird ITC-1000F controller. It didn't take long to get a list of parts, so I spent the rest of the day designing (several) layouts, and the wiring. I think I've got it where I want it, and all that's left is ordering the parts, and a lot of Dremel work :).

So, in summary, Thanks Mike, for giving me the time to work on my project :D.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Youve got a free site thats better then any paid site ive seen and your not happy its down for maintenance to make it better for you. I though the mods had a hard enough time dealing with forum stuff and now they have to worry about this

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
Youve got a free site thats better then any paid site ive seen and your not happy its down for maintenance to make it better for you. I though the mods had a hard enough time dealing with forum stuff and now they have to worry about this
I just re read all the posts here no one said they were unhappy just very confused.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And it was very confusing because at least in my case i never saw the notice; the site wasn't up enough to show the notice; there was nothing on fishlore twitter feed or facebook page (i checked both) and the site seemed down for an extended period so I was curious when it might be back up.

StarGirl15 said:
I just re read all the posts here no one said they were unhappy just very confused.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
And it was very confusing because at least in my case i never saw the notice; the site wasn't up enough to show the notice; there was nothing on fishlore twitter feed or facebook page (i checked both) and the site seemed down for an extended period so I was curious when it might be back up.
Exactly the same.

New Threads