Can't choose a light

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Thetanknwebie, Jul 10, 2015.

1. T

Thetanknwebie Well Known Member Member

Hello all! As some of you know I will be upgrading from a 10g to a 29g. I have been extensively looking into LEDs designed for planted tanks. I'm between the Orbit Satellite Pro or the Marineland Planted tank LED. The price difference is only $5, Marineland being more expensive at $175 and Orbit at $170.

Are there any more economical lights on the market or am I going to be gouged either way?

Which light do you thing is best, Marineland or Orbit?

Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

What plants are you looking to grow?

3. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Take a look at the Aquaray GroBeam 600 Ulitima. 5 LEDs produce more pur/par ratings then the two just mentioned. I use 2 Aquaray GroBeam 600's on a 55g whereas before getting them I used the Current Sat Plus which after 2 failures I went with this brand. 5 year warranty on the LED unit and a 2 year warranty on the power supply. Single unit is $124 US and should be perfect for your tank. No frills on these lights, just the right light, low power and great results IMO.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes I highly recommend the Finnex Planted Plus as well. Only been two weeks and i think I'm gonna have to trim this weekend...

6. Dadio

What many are failing to understand with LED is the par vs the pur factor. Yes, finnex, marineland and others work, to a point. Compare how many leds and power used in any of the units mentioned vs the use of only 5 leds in the Aquaray GrowBeam Ultima 600. My 48 inch Current had over 50 leds yet it does not even compare to what the Aquaray does with only 5 leds.

One other very important factor for me when I went with Aquaray is they are waterproof and not just water resistant. A drop of water, a splash or using any led unit or light unit inside of a cover is susceptible to humidity which in the case of my Current 48 in unit it was the humidity that killed it in less than 5 months and as for the warranty all I got was sorry, it got water damage and it's not covered. Like really! This is a water environment and if manufactures cannot keep true to that then there is no way I will waist any money on something that should work in these environments. My grow beams are 2 inches from the water level with no glass top or other to obstruct the light level. For me, this was the absolute plus. So, choice is always in the hand of the buyer, but for the money, my bet is on the Aquaray that uses better technology, best warranty in comparison to any other led unit and it is fully serviceable should something ever happen. Any of the other marks mentioned should a led burn out or stop working you have no choice but to replace the whole led strip or the unit itself. In the case of the Aquaray not so, 1 led goes, if it ever does is easily replaced making it's serviceable cost ratio to that of the others a pea in the bucket in comparison. Don't get me wrong, finnex, marineland, current and others like are good beginner leds for low light planted tanks but if your looking to take it one step further I highly suggest Aquaray GroBeam for freshwater planted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  7. Dom90

The Aquaray GroBeam also costs almost $300, whereas the Finnex only costs $100 or less.

8. OP
    OP
    T

I'm looking to grow low-medium light plants. Thank you so much for recommending the Finex! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

9. Dadio

No it doesn't! The single strip unit is 124 us, so not sure what your looking at. If your looking at the plate, then yes, but not the one I mentioned.  

10. Dom90

Ok maybe I looked at the DUO TWIN unit, but regardless the OP has already made his decision to get Finnex.

11. Dadio

Np, just get facts right before making a post to make sure we are on the same point. Point is, go with what tickles your fancy and meets your needs. Duo unit is $224 US on Dr Tims site just so your good with the right pricing.

12. OP
    OP
    T

I'm going to order the Finex from the link posted by Bluestreakfl through Amazon.

13. Dom90

Good choice, I am running the 48" on my 75G and leaving it on a schedule of 5 hours on, 5 hours off, 5 hours on. I have heard that breaks the algae growth cycle.

14. OP
    OP
    T

That's a good idea. I think I'm going to do that instead of the solid 8 hours.

15. Dom90

Yea, $5 christmas light timer I bought a few years back is now being used for my aquarium LED lol

16. OP
    OP
    T

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice