Can't breed my Molly's?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Taritus, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Taritus

Taritus Valued Member Member

Hello everybody :)
    So iv had my balloon Molly's for a while now and I always see my white male gettin busy with the female Molly's and on occasion my Micky mouse platy and common molly
    And months later I still have no fry
    Is they'r certain conditions that must be met or is my fish infertile
    All help is welcome :D

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

I don't know much about breeding fish but I thought livebearers breed like rabbits. I do know that you don't really need certain conditions for them to be born.

Is it possible she's giving birth but the fry get eaten?

3. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

I'd guess the fry are getting eaten by the other fish in the tank although I'd usually expect at least a few survivors.

Be careful what you wish for though. Livebearers can get out of hand pretty quickly lol.

4. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Do the ladies get fat over a month and then suddenly thin?? :)

5. Lisa Schuster Altmiller

Lisa Schuster Altmiller Valued Member Member

Do you have any floating plants or hiding spots in the tank for fry? If not, then in my opinion, they are being eaten as soon as they're born.

6. OP
    OP
    Taritus

I do have hidding spots but nothing floating
    I lost my black female balloon recenty to most likely a spinal problem
    However I have 3 females one has been lookig fatter then usual
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438362323.081933.jpg
    She's the first one that's cream colored and puffer is the yellow one behind her who's new
    They both get a lot of love from ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438362529.547996.jpg
    So if they are giving birth and I'm not seeing them and Theyr getting eaten what plants can I add to help them

7. h

Floating plants like java moss are good, and java moss is really easy to take care of. But if you want the babies you should get a breeder box, put it in a separate tank, and put the mom in it as soon as she looks really pregnant. When the fry are born they will swim out of the breeder box and into their own little tank. Then you should put the mom back. Keep the fry separate until they're too big for the other fish's mouths

Good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Alright I have a breeding net but not box
    Do u think Petco may sell them ?
    And what size tank for babies :)

9. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Breeding boxes are actually quite stressful for your fish and I'd highly recommend against using one in this manner.

10. OP
    OP
    Taritus

Same for breeding net ?

11. h

Oh okay sorry for the wrong advice I have heard of people using them successfully

12. hampalong

Java Fern is not a floating plant. The best plants are the "fluffy" ones - Cabomba, Myriophyllum etc.

Breeding boxes and nets are extremely stressful and can cause premature births and even the death of the mother.. The natural instinct is to hide. Breeding traps keep the female in full view of everyone, which is the last thing they need when they're about to give birth. They're actually very cruel.

13. h

Oh I said java moss not fern :)

14. hampalong

That's not floating either... You mean Riccia? or Indian Fern? That's quite a good one for fry.

:)

15. h

Sorry I thought you tie it to something and it grows across the span of a tank like a carpet, maybe they could tie to something high up?

16. hampalong

Java Moss doesn't really spread like that, it grows more like a clump, where it is. Actually clumps of Jaca Moss can be teased out quite a bit so that they become bigger and less dense? This is also ideal for fry to hide in.

Most Livebearers fry IME generally head for the surface to hide (if there's stuff to hide in there), but some head for the bottom. Places to hide everywhere are a good idea.

For a dedicated birthing tank you can't beat a tank just full of plants. A big handful of 'Elodea', Cabomba etc just thrown in is ideal. If the female can hide aswell as the fry she'll be a happy mom.

Don't forget birthing females would like to hide from us aswell as hungry fish.... :)

17. OP
    OP
    Taritus

I think she's pregnant :) ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438633003.705605.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice