Cannot understand filter instructions

JimSinclair
I got Sunsun CPF-180/250 UV-C Pond Press Bio Filter (). I cannot understand the instructions.

First, they refer to part names like "union nut" and "tension ring" but do not have illustrations to indicate what parts these names refer to.

Second, I do not know what is meant by warnings like "Never operate the filter with integrated UVC with a water pressure greater than 0.2bar (2mwh)! The height difference between the filter lid and the pressure-free outlet point can therefore be 2m max. The maximum delivery of the pump being used must not exceed 0.5 bar (5mwh)." Etc. What??

Third, the thing doesn't come with any hoses and I don't know how to select, or where to obtain, suitable hoses for it.

Fourth, the "English" instructions do not appear to have been written by someone who is actually fluent in English. Trying to read them is hurting my brain.

Can anyone direct me to a clear English explanation of how to assemble and use this thing?

Big Red
fissh

fissh
The company I buy most of my SunSun stuff from is CLL on ebay. CLL calls this unit a 3000 gallon pond filter, it's model # is CPF-250. I have that exact pump, but not the canister you have. I'm guessing the center outlet is a backwash? The hose barbs are supposed to be cut to the size hose you going to use. The bigger the hose the more flow you get. I would use 1" or 1 1/4" hose, either one would give you a good flow. 1" is easier to work with so I would cut the hose barb to the 1" size on the in and out on the canister, and on the pump hose barb. If the center is a backwash cut it to 1" also. I would use stainless hose clamps on all connections. with a 16 feet lift You should safely be able to use a 10 feet of hose on each outlet. Make sure the canister is lower than your water level of the pond, if you can. I'm not sure it will work right if the canister is higher. It might, I just don't know! Put the filtering material in the canister put the pump in the water and plug it in. Don't turn on the UV until your sure the canister is full of water, with no air inside. If I can help you in any way Please ask. Harry

Tanks and Plants
MAYBE this might help.

fissh
EMTinHawaii said:
MAYBE this might help.

Real good info, and you can tell what they're talking about.

Tanks and Plants
Phewwww I was hoping that this info might help. I hope the OP can figure it out. I know sometimes filter companies can make instructions really difficult to understand.

fissh
EMTinHawaii said:
Phewwww I was hoping that this info might help. I hope the OP can figure it out. I know sometimes filter companies can make instructions really difficult to understand.
sunsun instructions are at best horrid, most of the time there are none!

Tanks and Plants
fissh said:
sunsun instructions are at best horrid, most of the time there are none!
I wonder why companies do not try to make their instructions understandable. They have to know that there are people that have never used a filter like that before.
I remember when I first got my Fluval 106 if not for YouTube I would have been so lost. That was my first canister filter and the priming and air bubbles and how to set it up was just driving me crazy!

Good Luck Op I hope you can figure it out!

fissh
When I owned a LFS I showed everyone how to set up and prime they're filters before they left the store. I sold the most Fluvals In California 3 years strait. Isn't that amazing how a little service worked.

Tanks and Plants
Now that's customer service! I wish all pet stores were like that!

fissh
EMTinHawaii said:
Now that's customer service! I wish all pet stores were like that!
I just got burned out after 26 years of doing it!

Tanks and Plants
fissh said:
I just got burned out after 26 years of doing it!
wow 26 years! That's AWSOME! I wish I knew you while you owned your store!

Thanks!

JimSinclair
Thank you for the reply, but can you back up to the beginning and explain this in baby steps?

I have this thing I just took out of the box.

Apparently it needs something--hoses--that did not come with it. So I need to go buy whatever it needs to get it working.

What kind of hoses? Garden hoses? Special fish filter hoses? Something I can find at Home Depot? Or where do I get them? Exactly what do I need to say to a salesperson in order to be shown the right product?

Which barb is which? And what's the little transparent one with the orange propeller shaped thing on it?

What can I cut them with that won't crack the plastic?

What does "16 feet lift" mean?

After I put the hoses and hose clamps on the barbs, how do I attach them to the filter? And what do I do with the other ends? The pool has two holes with rubbery sleeves, one a little higher that the other, and no obvious way to secure hoses in them so they stay in place and don't leak.

The filter media appear to already be in place inside the pump. If I want to add some of the used media from my current HOB filters to seed it, is there a good place to tuck that where it won't swirl around inside until it plugs a hose or otherwise goes where it doesn't belong?

I still can't tell what they're talking about. :-(. Although at least I can see from the picture that the clear barb is supposed to go in the middle.

Are there diagrams or a video anywhere showing, step by step, how to set it up? The instructions that came with the Intex pool are great. The frame segments have stickers on them with A, B, C, or D, and there's a drawing showing how the pieces should be laid out, and it was all very easy to see how it should go together.

fissh
Use vinyl hose, get it from Home depot or any hardware store, Measure your pond outlets, and get that size hose. Make sure on the hose your going to measure the ID of the hose. For example 1" hose has an ID of 1" and an OD of 1 1/4" A picture of your pond fittings would be helpful. Don't cut the hose barbs until you figure out what size the pond connections will be. Adding old filter gunk is a good thing. but get the filter running first. You can put the gunk in the filter intake once you get it the filter working good.
Keep asking questions, we'll get you threw it!
Harry

Tanks and Plants
If possible I would take the filter with you to size the hoses. Or at least the hose barbs where the hose connects to. That way you can be sure that you have the correct size hoses.
If you get the wrong size hoses it can be a expensive mistake and I don't think you can return cut hoses.
ID- inside diameter
OD- outside diameter
sorry I was not sure if you knew what those meant?

JimSinclair
Thank you Harry and EMT. I was going to ask if it would be worthwhile to lug the thing with me to a hardware store and ask the person there to help. And I can definitely take cell phone pictures of the pool openings. How exactly do I measure those? They aren't rigid, they're sort of short vinyl tubes, and floppy. It's not like they would hold still and keep a round shape that I could measure across like I could do with the rigid plastic hose connection on the drainage opening.

Speaking of the drainage opening, what kind of thread does it have? I would like to connect a hose to it, cap the other end of the hose so it can be capped and uncapped from the far end for draining, then open the plug inside the pool *before* I finish filling it with water. Is that a reasonable plan, to keep the drainage plug always open inside the pool and use an end cap on the hose to open and close for water changes?

fissh
I'm pretty sure the threads on the filter are metric. instead of a cap you might use a ball valve, that would make it easier.

JimSinclair
A ball valve on the hose? I'm talking about the pool now, not the filter. When it's time for water changes, I would like to have a hose permanently connected to the pool's drain opening, the pool drain permanently open and connected to the hose, and the other end of the hose capped so water won't drain out until I position the hose end over the laundry drain in the floor and unscrew the cap. Will that work?

fissh
If you use a ball valve with a pvc hose barb on it, you could adjust the rate you drain the pond at. A cap will also work ( but no flow adjustment)

JimSinclair
I have brought the filter to Home Depot and the person here cannot figure it out either. :-(

fissh
It's a pressurized canister system. The pump goes in the pond, it pumps water to the canister, the pressure that is created in the canister will push the water back into the pond. you have to figure out the hoses to do this.

Tanks and Plants
I saw some talk about ball valves. I don't see why you cannot use ball valves on your hose. It would make it so much easier when you need to drain your filter.
I know my set up is UGLY, but I had to make it because my filter and tank is almost at the same level and when trying to prime the filter after a major cleaning the air trapped inside the "u" part of the intake will hold a bubble and no matter what I do I cannot get rid of this bubble. The only way was to have some sort of relief valve so the air could escape. And when doing water changes it makes it so much easier! All I have to do is open up the valve and water come right out and there is no way I can take out too much water. It will stop where the strainer is and it will leave the water below.
I know it's a humbug to lug your filter to the store but it's something that I would do to make sure that I have the correct size hoses. Also maybe someone there can help you figure out your pump. It's kinda hard to explain and understand something when we are not in "person". Maybe a worker might be able to explain it better. I am pretty sure that they have a small outside pond section and they might deal with pumps. Well at least our Home Depot and lowes here in Honolulu does. And it does not mean that we don't like helping anyone I think in this case it might be easier of someone could actually show you what to do.

Good Luck!

Tanks and Plants
Hmmmm I thought I posted a pic of my tank setup......

IMG_2568.JPG

Lynxster
Can you take pictures of the parts and pieces that you actually have and post on here? I'm pretty sure we can figure it out. You are probably going to need to buy some heavy duty rubber hose (more like garden hose) or the clear vinyl that is nylon reinforced, the plumbing department at Home Depot may not be much help since they usually have no clue about anything other than household stuff. To cut the hose barbs (nipples) I would suggest a fine tooth hacksaw. I would get the hose and stainless hose clamps that fit and test fit everything before I started making any cuts too.

Big Red
Lynxster said:
Can you take pictures of the parts and pieces that you actually have and post on here? I'm pretty sure we can figure it out. You are probably going to need to buy some heavy duty rubber hose (more like garden hose) or the clear vinyl that is nylon reinforced, the plumbing department at Home Depot may not be much help since they usually have no clue about anything other than household stuff. To cut the hose barbs (nipples) I would suggest a fine tooth hacksaw. I would get the hose and stainless hose clamps that fit and test fit everything before I started making any cuts too.
Its a stretch saying they know about the stuff In store! Lol mine are hopeless here. I agree with above poster some pictures may help here.

JimSinclair
I will try to post pictures tomorrow. I expect to be able to take the pictures tomorrow. But my computer has crashed and I am limited to going online using my phone, and with my phone I cannot see an option for attaching pictures to a post.

JimSinclair
Update: I took the filter and pond to the nearest LFS (which really isn't too near; the one I used to go to went out of business) and asked the guy there to show me how to set it up. He was perplexed too, because there seem to be some parts in the package that have no apparent purpose, and fittings that don't fit on the parts that it seems they ought to go on. Eventually he figured out which nozzles belonged with which nuts and washers on which outlets. He showed me where to cut the nozzles for a 1" hose. He sold me some 1" hose. He didn't have any clamps that would fit over it, so from there I went to a hardware store and bought four clamps: three to connect hoses to the filter nozzles and one to connect a hose to the pump. I hope the stainless steel clamp on the pump will be okay to submerge under water.

We could not figure out how to connect the hoses through the openings in the side of the pool. Obviously I did not bring the pool itself to the store with me, as it's already set up in my basement and has several inches of water in it. I brought along the pool manual and showed him the diagram showing the openings.

We concluded that in the interest of getting the thing set up as quickly and as simply as possible so the fish can move in, I should use the plugs that came with the pool to plug those openings, and drape the hoses over the edge of the pool. He also reminded me that the hose flowing in should not be placed below the waterline, but should be up above it so the water will splash down and oxygenate the water.

I would appreciate suggestions for how (simply and cheaply and ideally using materials that might already be in my house, without having to further delay setup for another trip to buy more stuff) to secure the hoses in place over the pool frame. Zip ties, maybe?

Then the next day I had an appointment out of town and spent the day on the road. Now I am home. I have the hose (a 9 foot length that the LFS guy said to cut into two unequal parts once I connect the pump-to-filter part and find out how long that piece needs to be; he said for the backwash hose I can use a segment of garden hose because that one doesn't need to be fish-safe), I have the clamps, I have a hacksaw for cutting the nozzles and the hoses.

For the drainage plug built into the pool, I asked the LFS guy if I even need to use that. Since the filter has a backwash setting, can I use that setting to drain out water for routine water changes? He said that should work.

I think I am ready to go downstairs and start putting these things in place!

Will have my phone with me in the basement and check in from time to time in case anyone has more advice.

JimSinclair
Pump connected after much struggle with non-fitting fittings. Submerged it and plugged it in. Water came out the other end of the tube. Yay! Unplugged it for now. Next step is to line up the tube with the filter, cut it, and connect the two resulting pieces to the in and out nozzles which I have already cut to 1" size. Meanwhile another hose has been filling the pool. Water level is now higher than the closed drain hole and the lower of the two plugged filter openings. I will leave it at this level for now, turn off the water and see if any leaks happen.

JimSinclair

IMG_20161009_144510.jpg

Lookit lookit lookit!!!

(I hope the attachment works.)

Question, though: When I first switched on the power strip after connecting all the hoses, first I heard water going from the pump into the filter, filter filled up, finally water started coming back out from the pump into the pool--and then a minute later water also started pouring out through the backwash. I checked the filter switch position. It is set for going into the pond, not set to backwash. So why did water go out both nozzles?

My (temporary?) fix was to turn off the power, unscrew the backwash nozzle, insert the little glass circle that had no explanation in the instructions but is the right size to fit into the nozzle, and screw the nozzle back on so the backwash nozzle is now blocked. Is that the way it's supposed to work? Do I need to turn off the power, remove the nozzle, remove and then replace that glass circle every time I want to use the backwash?

JimSinclair
Fish are moved in!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
IMG_20161011_104627.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom