It only contains a betta fish with live plants

Maintenance
I change the water once a week, 25%
to treat the water, I just use tap water conditioner
I vacuum the substrate

*Parameters
I DID cycle the tank before adding the betta
I use the API freshwater master test kit
Last time I tested was last week, so I am not sure if it changed, I can’t test the water again now because the medication I put in discolored the water
LAST WEEK’s results
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm
pH: 6.8 ppm

Feeding
I feed my fish just once a day in the morning
I used to feed him Hikari’s tropical micropellets, but then switched to feeding him Tetra freeze-dried bloodworms. I only feed him 2-4 bloodworms each day

Illness & Symptoms
I had him for around a month
I noticed this 2 days ago
I can’t tell if it is growing or not, but it looks like it just grew by a slight amount each day
I used API fungus cure when I noticed this
It was given to me by his previous owner who could no longer take care of him. He was just weak when I got him, but not sick. He became healthy again after a few days of me taking care of him. I don’t think this illness has to do with his condition when I first got him.
He is still energetic and eating.

I am not sure if this is an ulcer or an abscess, or (hopefully not) a tumor. The fungus cure I put in so far is not helping. I don’t know if I should continue using it. I should mention it looks mostly round, not much fluffiness. I hope somebody can give me an answer on what to do.

Attachments

• A170C809-FA7B-4923-9476-38D612925631.jpeg
    A170C809-FA7B-4923-9476-38D612925631.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 6

jdhef

Welcome to FishLore!

To me, it looks kinda cottony. If that is the case, I would say it is a fungus. To treat a fungus, you really need a real antibotic, and not one of the *fix meds (i.e melafix etc)

I have successfully treated for fungus with Tetra LifeGuard in the past

Tharpon0207

Welcome to FishLore!

To me, it looks kinda cottony. If that is the case, I would say it is a fungus. To treat a fungus, you really need a real antibotic, and not one of the *fix meds (i.e melafix etc)

I have successfully treated for fungus with Tetra LifeGuard in the past
Ah, I see. Thank you for the fast answer and recommendation. You cleared up my confusion in what it was. Is it normal for fish to still eat and swim around while still having fungus?

JustAFishServant

It does sort of look cottony like jdhef said - in this case you would use fungus medication. It's good to mention, though, that red bettas are the most prone to get cancers and tumors and due to inbreeding. Unfortunately, I'm attracted to red bettas. Issue is every full-red betta I've had lived less than 2 years and slowly withered away from scale cancer. My oldest betta (blue grizzle combtail named Ghast) was 6!

Whatever the case, this is likely a fungus. Should be easy to treat with the right meds. Once again, as jdhef said, meds labeled as "fix" (melafix and bettafix especially) are made of tea tree oil. This can coat the labyrinth organ (essentially "lungs" that help anabantoids like bettas and gouramis breath) which may cause long-term damage or even death. Avoid that junk. Try something like Methylene Blue or Lifeguard. Just realize these will kill your beneficial bacteria which is why it's recommended to use a hospital/quarantine tank instead of the main one.

Tharpon0207

It does sort of look cottony like jdhef said - in this case you would use fungus medication. It's good to mention, though, that red bettas are the most prone to get cancers and tumors and due to inbreeding. Unfortunately, I'm attracted to red bettas. Issue is every full-red betta I've had lived less than 2 years and slowly withered away from scale cancer. My oldest betta (blue grizzle combtail named Ghast) was 6!

Whatever the case, this is likely a fungus. Should be easy to treat with the right meds. Once again, as jdhef said, meds labeled as "fix" (melafix and bettafix especially) are made of tea tree oil. This can coat the labyrinth organ (essentially "lungs" that help anabantoids like bettas and gouramis breath) which may cause long-term damage or even death. Avoid that junk. Try something like Methylene Blue or Lifeguard. Just realize these will kill your beneficial bacteria which is why it's recommended to use a hospital/quarantine tank instead of the main one.
Something very odd just happened. So the aquarium shook after something fell on the ground, which made my fish get scared and swim fast, and made the entire ”fungus” fall off. Now there is just a small mark on his body with a very small, hardly noticeable amount of white left. I don’t know if it will grow back. I should mention that I removed the fallen fungus from the water.

JustAFishServant

Something very odd just happened. So the aquarium shook after something fell on the ground, which made my fish get scared and swim fast, and made the entire ”fungus” fall off. Now there is just a small mark on his body with a very small, hardly noticeable amount of white left. I don’t know if it will grow back. I should mention that I removed the fallen fungus from the water.
In 10 years I've only had a fish fungus issue once, and it was on a female betta alone in a 75 gallon tank. She was a recent rescue (all my pets have always been rescues). A few days after I added her in the 75, she got startled and the fungus "fell off." I removed it as you had and she healed quickly after that. This was so many years ago at the beginning of my hobby but I remember I wasn't using meds. Sometimes a large water change (like a betta moving from a 0.5G tank to a 75G tank) and warm, clean water is all they need to heal. The fungus fell off which means it was dying. Aquatic fungus is way more fragile than you'd think. It seems you did very well treating him and I think he'll be fine ;)

Tharpon0207

In 10 years I've only had a fish fungus issue once, and it was on a female betta alone in a 75 gallon tank. She was a recent rescue (all my pets have always been rescues). A few days after I added her in the 75, she got startled and the fungus "fell off." I removed it as you had and she healed quickly after that. This was so many years ago at the beginning of my hobby but I remember I wasn't using meds. Sometimes a large water change (like a betta moving from a 0.5G tank to a 75G tank) and warm, clean water is all they need to heal. The fungus fell off which means it was dying. Aquatic fungus is way more fragile than you'd think. It seems you did very well treating him and I think he'll be fine ;)
Thank you! It is good to know that my betta is most likely fine now. I will come back to this thread if anything more happens about this fungus, but hopefully not. You have a nice life!

SparkyJones

do some decent water changes for the next couple days or so and this should clear up on its' own without meds.

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom