Cannot Keep Plants Alive, What Am I Doing Wrong? Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Elisko, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Elisko

Elisko New Member Member

I started a new aquarium a few months ago, and while I had decent luck in my old aquarium, I cannot seem to keep plants alive. Right now I have Baby tears and Monte Carlo plant/mat that already seem to be dying after just a little over a week in the tank. I have some brown algae, but the leaves just seem to be dying/going clear/turning lighter or brown. I've attached a picture from the top and from the side.

I do daily CO2 supplements. When I planted them I did a Seachem root tab (I did one, I have a 2.7 gallon tank). I have API Leafzone, which I've been dosing after large water changes. My betta and snail seem to be thriving. My ammonia levels are fine. I have the light on a timer, and usually have it on a little longer at night manually - this is the light I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073GZDLBZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm just at a complete loss. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I would think it would be to do with your substrate. Looks like they are just pebbles, which is bad for your plants, since they feed through their roots and there are no nutrients in your pebbles.

Consider getting a planted tank substrate like eco complete, or at least some organic potting soil, capped with gravel.

May I ask how powerful your light is?

Thanks

3. OP
    OP
    Elisko

Elisko New Member Member

I actually am using eco complete - I attached a better picture of the substrate situation - I have the pebbles on top to protect my betta's fins since it's a little on the sharper side.

I've been looking for info on my light, and I can't find anything on the power levels - all it says is "620 nm of red light and 450nm of blue" which is kind of useless. I got it because it was recommended for my tank, and it seems to be bright, but I guess I have no real idea how powerful it is. Could I be giving the plants too much light?

Attached Files:

4. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Those aren't the easiest plants to grow. My monte carlo has done nothing for months.

It sounds as though the tank is new? It may be melt due to changes in parameters for the plants. I'd give it a few weks to see if they perk up.

5. OP
    OP
    Elisko

Elisko New Member Member

Thank you! I had also read that I might be low in potassium? I figure I'll order some today and see if that makes a difference.

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I can see the monte carlo, but I'm not sure what the larger bundles of plants are. By baby tears do you mean dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides) or something else? Dwarf baby tears need high light and injected CO2 to survive.
    API Leaf Zone, to be frank, is not a good fertilizer. It only contains iron and potassium, while plants need a lot more than that. This may help you:
    Info Before You Buy Flourish And Ferts In General

7. OP
    OP
    Elisko

Elisko New Member Member

Hmm, no they're not dwarf baby tears - this is what the site listed them as: "Baby Tears, also known as Pearl Grass or Pearl Weed (or by its scientific name - Hemianthus micranthemoides)". I've been doing daily CO2 injections.

And thank you so much! That thread is incredibly helpful! I've used the flourish root tabs along with the leaf zone and thought I was doing ok - but that opens up a whole lot more. Thank you!

8. OP
    OP
    Elisko

Elisko New Member Member

Hmm, no they're not dwarf baby tears - this is what the site listed them as: "Baby Tears, also known as Pearl Grass or Pearl Weed (or by its scientific name - Hemianthus micranthemoides)". I've been doing daily CO2 injections.

And thank you so much! That thread is incredibly helpful! I've used the flourish root tabs along with the leaf zone and thought I was doing ok - but that opens up a whole lot more. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice