Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitopotato

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sick Fish Template:
Tank

40 breeder, up for ~1.5 years at new house (was up since 2016 before that), fully cycled. Aquaclear 70 filter and heated to 76F.
1 adult angelfish; 2 platies, 2 swords, 2 variatus.

Maintenance
Typically, once a week. Sometimes once every 10-12 days, at least 15 gallons removed, gravel vac always. I use Prime to treat new water.

*Parameters

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often? 1-2x daily
How much? They finish within a minute or so. I feed Omega One tropical flakes, fluval bug bites, SF Bay frozen brine shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since 2016
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About a month ago!
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White tufts and patches on various parts of body, slightly cloudy eyes with one eye slightly protruding
Have you started any treatment for the illness? At first I just did daily water changes of 30-50%. Then I tried melafix. Now it's sulfaplex.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behavior is just the same as always. Very greedy with food, and somewhat territorial being an angelfish. Still curious about surroundings. Appearance-wise, he seems thinner, his head seems bonier somehow. And there are the white patches and tufts of course. Color is good and normal though, not pale or listless.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

It started with a small tuft of white fuzz on the base of his pectoral fin, and slight white webbing-looking stuff around his mouth. I noticed it seemed like his upper lip eroded away slightly? And his eyes were a bit cloudy. Another area on a ventrical fin had a small hole in it with white surrounding the perimeter of the tear. I noticed this, like... maybe a month ago now, maybe longer. I was slacking on water changes a little back then, sometimes only doing one every two weeks. I also have a variatus that seems a little off; weird cracks in her head, with white stuff in them. And her body posture is slumpy, with a clamped tail sometimes. I didn't add any new fish in the past 5 months, only a few live plants. I did remove 3 red/blue Colombian tetras that had been in the tank for months because they seemed like they might be sick with something else, possibly parasitic (black spots under skin/cloudy eyes/bloated), and I didn't want them to perpetuate illness in my other fish. 2 of the 3 tetras have passed away since moving to a 5.5 gal.

Anyway, I started doing daily water changes of 30-50%, and it seemed to prevent things from spreading, but after a week and a half of these water changes, the white stuff was not going away on the angelfish or the variatus. I decided to try a round of Melafix, and I stopped doing water changes during that time. I didn't notice a change in the fungal/bacterial infection, so after doing a little research I decided to try Seachem's Sulfaplex. I put carbon back in the filter after the Melafix, waited a day and did a 60% water change before adding Sulfaplex. I've been dosing the tank with this stuff pretty liberally, as the directions say to increase the dosage four-fold if symptoms persist.

Well, it's been about a week now and it seems like the fuzz is getting worse. I haven't done any water changes since beginning Sulfaplex. It's on a new area of the fish's body, more fuzz is growing off of it. And the areas that were initially infected seem more fuzzy. And his eye seems more protruded. I'm very discouraged now. All this time of treating and it's just getting worse, despite seeming to have discovered the illness early on.

I need opinions on treatment here. Should I keep doing Sulfaplex for the recommended 3-week period, even though it doesn't seem to be helping? Should I do water changes between doses of Sulfaplex? Should I stop Sulfaplex and go back to the daily water changes? Should I move my two sick fish to a smaller tank for treatment? Should I try a different medication altogether? I am at a loss here, guys. Please help!

Here's a link to a YouTube vid I uploaded of them:

Last edited:

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, sounds like it might be cottonwool disease (Columnaris) which although it looks like fungal is actually a bacterial infection, difficult to tell 100% though from your description, any chance you could upload some pics of the affected fish?

kaitopotato

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, sounds like it might be cottonwool disease (Columnaris) which although it looks like fungal is actually a bacterial infection, difficult to tell 100% though from your description, any chance you could upload some pics of the affected fish?
It's difficult to tell 100% through viewing as well... If only fish illnesses were more black and white. Hopefully the vid I attached helps.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's difficult to tell 100% through viewing as well... If only fish illnesses were more black and white. Hopefully the vid I attached helps.
Hi, still difficult to tell what the issue is but I'd try a whole tank treatment with Seachem Paraguard, it's a broad range treatment for parasites, fungal, bacterial & viral infections & it won't kill your BB colony or stain your water.

kaitopotato

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks. I'll get it tomorrow I guess

kaitopotato

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, here's an update I guess: I did a 90% w/c yesterday. And I noticed that the angelfish's poop is very thin and stringy, and clear. And he almost seems to have a crater forming from his nostril, with the white fuzz surrounding it. The variatus has similar deficits in her head, which looks odd and lumpy because of the indents. I just noticed yesterday that the other variatus seems to be in the early stages of it too now, with some white around her head and indentation starting. I've never seen anything quite like it. Could this be a parasite?

Ravynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, here's an update I guess: I did a 90% w/c yesterday. And I noticed that the angelfish's poop is very thin and stringy, and clear. And he almost seems to have a crater forming from his nostril, with the white fuzz surrounding it. The variatus has similar deficits in her head, which looks odd and lumpy because of the indents. I just noticed yesterday that the other variatus seems to be in the early stages of it too now, with some white around her head and indentation starting. I've never seen anything quite like it. Could this be a parasite?
Wild guess but what about hexamita?

kaitopotato

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Another update: I noticed a couple days ago my other variatus has the beginning of the illness it seems, with a sort of light pinkish hollowness under and around her eyes. I've done three big wc's since my last post, got some Seachem Paraguard and dosed the tank yesterday and today. The angelfish seems the same pretty much. The worst one, the first variatus, seems to be in good spirits but her body looks just awful. I thought she was gonna die for sure the other day but seems to have perked up a lot after the paraguard. Idk. I guess I'll keep up with the wc's and dosing with the paraguard every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom