Help cannot get nitrates down

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have high nitrates today, I have tried to get them down by doing a 50% water change and cleaning out my filters. I have had the nitrate level go from 160 ppm to 80 ppm so I am making progress please tell me what is going on and how to fix it, thanks

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow 160ppm. When was the last time you did a water change since you noticed this? Nitrate builds up like that over long periods of time. Continue to do daily water changes to lower the nitrate level. It could also be a misreading though. Nitrate tests can do that. Did you run the test twice for accuracy? If it is accurate, water changes are best. Try not to clean your filter and vacuum on the same day. You run the risk of a mini cycle.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A.P.I. test strips, I do water changes biweekly I did tests 4 times, twice before water change and filter clean, and twice after.
I would save up for the liquid kit...the strips arent reliable and im sure your nitrates are much lower...your stock isnt high enough to get that high of a reading unless you went months without a water change....even in a smaller tank...but the danios do need more room good luck!

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yes, Okay I let my tank settle overnight and now it is between 20 and 40 ppm. I cannot afford the master test kit the strips are only temporary until I can afford the liquid kit!
Oh yeah thanks shawnie!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you can buy it in pieces which is cheaper and im glad things have settled for you...your welcome

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would just get a set water change schedule and stick with it until you can get a liquid test kit. There is no sense in testing it because it is not accurate and it might cause you to do something drastic that is not necessary.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have nitrates in my tap water also. The problem with having 10ppm nitrates in your tap water is that water changes do not bring the nitrates down the way tap water without nitrates do.

For example, if you tank had nitrates of 40ppm and you did a 50% water change with water that contained 0ppm nitrates your nitrate level after the water change would be 20ppm.

But if that same 50% water change was done with tap water containing 10ppm nitrates, your nitrate level would be 25ppm. And with every water change your nitrates creep up a little.

So what I did was to switch to Amquel+ as my water conditioner. Amquel+ will remove the nitrates from your tap water, in essence giving you tap water that contains 0ppm nitrates.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom