Question Canister with sponge filter?

LisaYP

Reaction score
Hi. I've bought a second hand 'Betta Choice 1050' UV canister filter but i have no idea what order to put the baskets. I've looked online and found the photo showing how the filter works inside but it doesn't appear to show the carbon tray in that illustration. Do I need carbon?
Also, I've seen pre filter recommendations to catch 'floaters'. Where would I put one of these? Over the filter intake in the tank?
Or would an actual sponge filter be better for water clarity and can one be used with a canister filter?
Lastly, could I hide the sponge filter behind rocks or does it have to be 'on show'?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your help

Screenshot_20200716-155205_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200716-155118_Chrome.jpg

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't put carbon in my tanks, just sponges and biorings. I just fill the sections that are for carbon with extra biorings

LightBrownPillow

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water should flow through coarse filtration -> fine filtration -> chemical (if used) -> biofilter.
I use Purigen for my chemical filtration. Carbon isn't all that great for general purpose use, so better to skip and increase the biofilter media like @e_watson09 said.

OP
LisaYP

LisaYP

Reaction score
LightBrownPillow said:
Water should flow through coarse filtration -> fine filtration -> chemical (if used) -> biofilter.
I use Purigen for my chemical filtration. Carbon isn't all that great for general purpose use, so better to skip and increase the biofilter media like @e_watson09 said.
Thank you

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Check out some of Pondguru's videos on youtube. He has a series where he modifies people's canister filters (if lucky, you might be able to find one with your specific canister). In the process, he explains how to set up the media inside your canister. So even if he doesn't do your model, you'll still come away feeling more confident about how best to set it up.

Edit: Just keep in mind that he's sponsored by the Biohome folks, so he's trying to sell that stuff. It's good, but not the be all / end all. I prefer Eheim's substrat, personally.

OP
LisaYP

LisaYP

Reaction score
faydout said:
Check out some of Pondguru's videos on youtube. He has a series where he modifies people's canister filters (if lucky, you might be able to find one with your specific canister). In the process, he explains how to set up the media inside your canister. So even if he doesn't do your model, you'll still come away feeling more confident about how best to set it up.

Edit: Just keep in mind that he's sponsored by the Biohome folks, so he's trying to sell that stuff. It's good, but not the be all / end all. I prefer Eheim's substrat, personally.
Thanks! I'll have a look

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom