Canister Vs Hob - Page 2

Salem

If you want a canister I would highly suggest making your own rather than buying one. It's significantly cheaper and building it yourself makes it a lot easier to repair.

filter floss is literally just 100% polyester stuffing but pressed into the form of a mat, you can buy a big bag from walmart for a few dollars. It's good for very fine mechanical filtration. I like to use polyfil and put those green scouring pads on top to get some of the bigger gunk out without clogging the stuffing.

Freshfishguy

If you want a canister I would highly suggest making your own rather than buying one. It's significantly cheaper and building it yourself makes it a lot easier to repair.

filter floss is literally just 100% polyester stuffing but pressed into the form of a mat, you can buy a big bag from walmart for a few dollars. It's good for very fine mechanical filtration. I like to use polyfil and put those green scouring pads on top to get some of the bigger gunk out without clogging the stuffing.
Wow I never considered this. I do some very limited DIY, but nothing that nears this level. Worth considering though if it is much cheaper and can be just as effective like you say.

mc12345

Hey guys.

I’m thinking about switching from a HOB filter to a canister filter for my high tech planted 40g breeder (150ish liters for the folks not in the US).

If I can afford it, is there any good reason not to go with a canister over a HOB? My friend said it was a lot more difficult to clean a canister filter, particular thoughts regarding maintenance on canister filters?

Also, recommendations for a canister filter for the 40 breeder are very welcome!
I use both. There are pros and cons to both. For my 75 gallon, I use an aquaclear 110 (HOB) and an eheim 2217 (canister). The setup for canisters is a little more complicated because of the intake and output valves and tubing, filter media, etc., but it gets easy once you get used to it. It is also easier to adjust flow rate using a spray bar. I find that it is hard to adjust the flow of the aquaclear. The setup for HOBs is much simpler and easier, but they do tend to be louder. My aquaclear is much louder than the canister I have. Both work great and are easily customizable when it comes to filter media. Some other HOB filters may be more difficult depending on the shape and size, but aquaclears are great. I highly recommend aquaclears and eheim classic canister filters.

pagoda

My aquariums had internal filters...the standard rectangles had Interpet CF2 and the hexagonal had factory supplied flow through drippy things that were so annoying they generally get binned straight from the box - they behave the same as an HOB but are across the inside of the aquarium under the lid with intake, powerhead, two media baskets and waterfall on opposite end to the intake (yes, I know description is weird but so are the filters in an Aquael 60 Hex )

Anyway....thought of changing to HOB on all of them but decided against it due to lack of room for them to hang from. Decided on external instead and now all aquariums have the same filter, Tetra EX600 Plus (they do come in 800, 1200 and 2400 too).

Why didn't I do it from the start...peace and quiet, no annoying waterfalls at night and so easy to install/maintain.....and the Danio's in two of the aquariums think Christmas and birthday has all come at once cos they are never out of the vicinity of the spray bar spending all day and night leaping around like demented lunatics

Never using internal filters again....and HOB....well maybe I might try one one day but right now, fishies and me are very happy with the externals (I finally get a decent night's sleep without the waterfall next to the bed )

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
Karl
Replies