Canister Vs Hob

1. _

_S_ Initiate Member

I bought a fluval canister filter, it was kind of just an impulse buy. I'm scared to use it though. Now you may be wondering why, well, it isn't the replacement of parts or even the maintenance of the filter. Before I got the filter I made sure to do my research but there's a common issue I kept stumbling upon. Leaking. I read pages and pages and pages of people talking about fluval filters and in general canister filters leaking from various areas. Wether it was from a part in the cord, from the area where the o-ring lies or wether it was within the canister area itself. I understand that canisters have many benefits, one of them being the advanced filtration they provide. From what I read though, these leaks have caused stands to be tarnished, carpets to be drenched and floors that have become ruined. The tank that I was planning on to use is going to be placed in hardwood. If a leak occurs it will ruin my hardwood flooring. So to avoid this, I was going to place the canister in a bucket so if it leaks the bucket collects the water. Another issue is, what if I am not at home and the filter leaks rapidly and surpasses the buckets capacity causing the water the overflow on the floor. That also means I would loose water within the tank harming my fish and possibly killing them. I'm not always home so I can't keep a super close eye on the leaks. Aside from that I also read issues about canisters being loud and making a groggy noise when air is trapped. The last thing that I read was to keep canisters running you will run in to times where you have to replace parts. For example it is recommended to replace the o ring yearly. For me, I looked at the prices for replacement parts and they were very expensive. Parts like the impeller. I also read about many fluvals that had priming issues. All of these things have kind of discouraged me to use the canister filter. I was thinking of refunding the filter and getting an aqua clear instead. A lot of people say between HOB filters and canister filters it is personal preference. As I said, I won't always be home and I want to make sure my fish are always healthy and fine even if I am not at home. There aren't a lot of issues that arise with HOB filters and they're relatively cheap. My second last question is if a HOB filter powers 120 gph and a canister filter also powers 120 mph why is the canister better? To end off finally (l0l) I'm torn on wether I should keep my canister or switch it out for a hob. Should I keep the canister/ why should I keep it or should I switch it out? Maybe I shouldn't have read those pages about leaks lol. Lastly if you have made it to the end of this, thanks for reading all of this.

2. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Quite honestly, if you are worried, return the canister filter. It is not worth the headache if there are so many things that you don-t like about the filter.

People use canisters because they have a lot of room for media, are silent and unobtrusive. Not everyone wants a HOB that is quite visible.

I would only buy a HOb that self-primes, so Aquaclears are out. I use an Aqueon (and Eheim canisters :)). Lots of people like the new Seachem Tidal which self primes as well.

3. hacksaw15

hacksaw15 Member Member

Sounds the op is just paranoid. I've been running canisters for around ten years and still running the first one I bought. The only time I had a leak it was my fault by not seating the baskets in properly. You do have to be extra careful when doing maintenance and keeping your o-rings and seals lubricated. Make sure everything is seated properly and tight. I've been using Rena Filstar canister filters and never had a problem. As for air in the filter the only time that was a problem was the o-rings was dry and I lubed them with vaseline and problem solved. I've had to replace one impeller. After I do filter maintenance I keep a eye on things for a day or so to make sure their are no leaks or any other problems. My canisters filters are so quiet I have to put my hand on it to make sure it's running. But if you think you would be comfortable with a HOB by all means that what you should use.

4. davis

davis Member Member

I personally like a canister better the media is better contained and quieter did have a leak once need to make sure it goes together right. HOB are simpler to use and less likely to leak normally make more noise if your stressing over a possible leak use the HOB you want to enjoy the tank not stress over it.

5. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I don't think you are paranoid. Wood floors are expensive and easy to ruin with water. I have seen a few threads about leaky canisters, but I would not say it's common that they leak. When they do, it seems like a bucket would almost always contain it, IMO. That being said, I have also seen a few threads about leaky HOBs, (not sure exactly how these would leak with the overflows they have, though). So that may be a wash. I use HOBs myself, they're cheaper and maybe easier to maintain. I like the sound of running water. But canisters have a lot of benefits, as pointed out above. If there's room in your stand for a big bucket, I say go for it, try the canister. Home insurance typically covers water damage from aquarium accidents anyway (but who wants to file that claim). Good luck whatever you decide!

6. twilysparklez

twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

I've had two HOBs leak before. One by the pump and another along a seam. Both of these were really cheap filters, so that might be a cause.

7. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

My first filter 2yrs ago(upon returning to the hobby after 15 ur absence) was a canister and I loved it. Have 5 hob filters, and they're OK too. Leaking is not that common, and as previously posted a bucket would contain most leaks.