Canister Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Katepete722, Apr 10, 2018.

  1. Katepete722New MemberMember

    Hi all,

    I recently made the decision to upgrade to a canister filter (Penn Plax Cascade 700). Set it up yesterday morning and my tank is already looking miles better! It did not occur to me during set up to put the cartridge from my old filter (Penguin Bio Wheel) into the cannister, so I will be running both filters for a while.

    My question is, how long do you think it will take a sufficient biological filter to establish in the canister? I could always run both filters until first maintenance on the canister and move the media over at that point, but I don't know if that's beating a dead horse.

    Any help is appreciated!
     
  2. Rojer RamjetWell Known MemberMember

    I would say that after a week, the new media should be well seeded and ready for duty.
     
  3. caddWell Known MemberMember

    I disagree. 1 week is not enough time for the new media to seed. If it were my tank, I would run both for well over a month before I remove the old filter.
     
  4. Charlie ReelNew MemberMember

    If you did not clean your tank. Before adding your new filter. You are good pulling the old one after a week. If you did clean the tank. Wait a month.
     
  5. Katepete722New MemberMember

    I did a 20 % water change and scraped some algae off the walls before switching filters, but the water was pretty turbid when I started up the canister. I am planning to do my first maintenance on the canister next weekend. I think I'll just take the floss out of my old filter and put it in the canister to be safe. I've got a lot of fish right now, so I really don't want to start a cycle.

    Thanks for the advice everyone!
     
  6. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

    I don't switch out any old media for new until the new has been seeded, which usually takes a few weeks.
    That's just my precaution, others do longer or shorter times.
     
  7. SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

    I would wait for a month unless there's an emergency to remove the Penguin or something.

    Then I would monitor for an ammonia spike and if I got even the slightest indication of one ... start dosing it with STABILITY.
     
Loading...