Canister sponge beyond cleaning??? (Eheim specifically)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey all,
So I'm a little baffled by some noises in my filter. (Eheim 2213 Classic)

The noises are definitely those of a starved impeller (rattling sound). i.e. restricted water flow

And, following my , everything is clean, hoses, taps, water paths etc.

I have also swapped out the impeller, ceramic shaft and rubber bushes.

The only thing that I can think of is that the coarse filter sponge is beyond cleaning so to speak.

What does everyone think? Do you think it's possible that it's just time to replace the coarse sponge (blue). Do they get "beyond cleaning"?

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well i would make sure... like take the sponge out, and see if it still makes the noise, so you don't waste too much time on one thing... and have it turn out it's not just the sponge.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you do change out the sponge, Don't change out all of it! Supposedly most of the BB is in the sponge ;o

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
steed1172 said:
well i would make sure... like take the sponge out, and see if it still makes the noise, so you don't waste too much time on one thing... and have it turn out it's not just the sponge.
Duh! Why didn't I think of that
Thanks, I shall try that tonight

CichlidsYay said:
If you do change out the sponge, Don't change out all of it! Supposedly most of the BB is in the sponge ;o
Thanks, theoretically most of my BB should be in the Substrat bio media and possibly the pre-filter ceramic noodles, not to mention the surfaces in the tank itself . I don't think changing the coarse sponge would have an effect on my cycle, but I have everything just in case (Prime etc)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads