Canister replacement conundrum

bobduhgeek

I have a sunsun 303b on my 55 freshwater tropical. It's fully cycled, doing great. The tank is at 100% population. This is my third sunsun. I am relatively happy with it. Over time however they start to make a lot of noise. It's fixable I know. But they also start to leak over time. Looking for a different brand canister with a 350 GPH rating. Fluval makes some good ones but recently the reviews show that they leak a lot. What is your experience? I hate to do this, start the canister wars, but here it goes: what is the best canister filter?

pagoda

I am quite happy with my Tetra EX 600 Plus

No leaks, so quite I frequently end up checking they are actually working :D

They come in 4 sizes...600, 800, 1200 and 2400....and not the most expensive or cheapest and loads of media included that can be added to or reduced according to what you want.

Upvote 0

Redviper

I've owned 4 Fluvals now. They've all had their problems, but I keep hoping that design and manufacturing will step up. My new FX4 is running great, so far. My FX6 was a beast in terms of flow but I couldn't stop it from leaking towards the end. My second filter is an OASE 600. I've had a single issue with it so far which was easily accounted for. In general it runs fine and hasn't needed cleaning of the filters mainbody for 5-months which is fabulous. OASE support is based in the US and truly great.

Upvote 0

Dechi

I have used a Fluval 407 for 2 years and never had a leak. I broke one part and had Fluval replace the whole head for free.

Now I’m running an FX4 and I really like it. Unlike you, I haven't read many leak complaints with Fluval compared with most cheaper manufacturers.

In my opinion, because of availability of all parts of the filter and quality of the product, Fluval is in the top 3 best canister filter. Some of these people complaining of leaks might also not be taking great care of their equipment.

I’ve encountered many people saying they’ve had their Fluval for 20-30 years and it’s still running. Of course they’ve had to replace a few parts, but that’s the beauty of it. You CAN find all the parts, unlike other good brands that I would never buy because you just can’t repair it if need be.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

I dont think there is a ‘best’ filter. If there was, we would all be using it. This is always going to be a debate based on peoples experiences, good or bad. In my experience, people are more likely to write up about a bad experience than a good one.

personally, i prefer fluval. Ive always used fluval products ever since my first tank when i was in my teens. Ive got a 206 and a 407 right now - no issues at all and as dechi points out, the parts when/if they do go are readily available to keep them going even longer.

however, oase are making some great products at the moment. Built in replaceable heater and easy pre-filter guys! Even if the pre-filter needs cleaning once a week before it clogs completely, its still a nice bit of kit. It does come at a price though.

not sure if aquael is over the pond yet but their ultramax range also gets some good reviews. Pondguru in particular is a fan.

Upvote 0

bobduhgeek

I have used a Fluval 407 for 2 years and never had a leak. I broke one part and had Fluval replace the whole head for free.

Now I’m running an FX4 and I really like it. Unlike you, I haven't read many leak complaints with Fluval compared with most cheaper manufacturers.

In my opinion, because of availability of all parts of the filter and quality of the product, Fluval is in the top 3 best canister filter. Some of these people complaining of leaks might also not be taking great care of their equipment.

I’ve encountered many people saying they’ve had their Fluval for 20-30 years and it’s still running. Of course they’ve had to replace a few parts, but that’s the beauty of it. You CAN find all the parts, unlike other good brands that I would never buy because you just can’t repair it if need be.
The complaints I've read about have been for recent 407 having plastic that crumbles. I don't know, that's why I asked the question. Can the fx4 be used on. 55gal? Is the flow rate adjustable for a standard 55? I like the looks of it.
I am quite happy with my Tetra EX 600 Plus

No leaks, so quite I frequently end up checking they are actually working :D

They come in 4 sizes...600, 800, 1200 and 2400....and not the most expensive or cheapest and loads of media included that can be added to or reduced according to what you want.
Unfortunately, it's not available in the States.

Upvote 0

Redviper

Hey Dechi! While I agree with your sentiments, I take exception with the mechanics. Since I've been burned 3-times so far by Fluval it seems unfair to blame users for the failures they've experienced. For example, I spent nearly a $500 on refitting my FX6 in an effort to stop it from leaking. My G6's electronics (my reason for buying it) failed, which would have been nearly as expensive to refit as it would have been to replace the entire filter.

In Fluval's favor they seem to understand the need to upgrade their products from time to time. This is a rare take on filtration. When I bought my FX4 (my second choice) I knew it would be a good purchase, regardless of passed experiences primarily because, as you said, replacement parts are readily available. Here's to hoping I can wait 20-30-years before I NEED to upgrade!

Upvote 0

Redviper

So, is the fx4 overkill on a 55 gallon planted tropical tank, sand/gravel substrate, 1 angelfish, 5 tiger barbs, 8 rose barbs, a couple of danio, give or take 20 ender?

Considering some of the talk about turnover, I'd guess it'd be enough kill. In my experience the only way to overfilter a tank is when you don't manage how the water returns to the tank. Not doing so can turn your fish into projectiles.

Upvote 0

bobduhgeek

Considering some of the talk about turnover, I'd guess it'd be enough kill. In my experience the only way to overfilter a tank is when you don't manage how the water returns to the tank. Not doing so can turn your fish into projectiles.
Sponge time. Good thoughts, thanks.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Hey Dechi! While I agree with your sentiments, I take exception with the mechanics. Since I've been burned 3-times so far by Fluval it seems unfair to blame users for the failures they've experienced.

I agree not everyone who has problems has not been doing maintenance. I was just trying to point out that a part of the people you see complaining on the internet are.
The complaints I've read about have been for recent 407 having plastic that crumbles. I don't know, that's why I asked the question. Can the fx4 be used on. 55gal? Is the flow rate adjustable for a standard 55? I like the looks of it.

That’s what happened to me. I wasn’t opening it properly and the plastic broke. But honestly it was my fault. And Fluval replaced it for free so I can’t complain.

The FX4 doesn’t have an adjustable flow so yes, it could be an overkill depending on what type of fish you have. Or not. Check it out on Youtube before you buy. Lots of people have it.

Upvote 0

Redviper

If I'm lucky enough to need another filter, I'm going to pop for one of these sweet babies:

Super Jet filter

This much Stainless and an industrial pump has got to be mac-daddy class.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHJ
Replies
Views
BarristanTheBold
Replies
Views
SallImSayin
  • Question