Help Canister not returning water

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh boy, I'm on a roll with these canisters already...So I got my new fluval 307 set up, cleaned all the media, primed it, now I got it plugged in but it's having issues getting the water back up into the tank. The manual says the bottom of the canister can't be more than 4.5' below the top of the water line, I measured again just to be sure and it's not even 4' below. What gives?
Also I just let it run for a couple minutes to see if it just needed a moment to get the water all the way up but it switched from pumping noises to awful rattles so it's unplugged again...

Michael.j.gomez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, no experience w/fluvial canisters. I have 2 cascade 1000. Whenever canister is making a rattling noise there is always air in system via hose's not seated properly(hose ends cut uneven), canister has air trapped in it(tip side to side) & sometimes air will form in top of intake elbow if not flowing correctly. Hope this helps!!!!!

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not primed, tilt it forward, backward, left and right (don't tilt a whole lot just like a little less than 90 degree angle). until it stops making gurgling sounds. Also make sure flow control valve is all the way open.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That does help, thank you. However there is something else...the top is on the canister literally as tight as possible, but both when I primed it and when I plug it in water leaked out the side. It stops when it gets decent suction, but surely it won't leak after every time I have to clean it right?
Not primed, tilt it forward, backward, left and right (don't tilt a whole lot just like a little less than 90 degree angle). until it stops making gurgling sounds. Also make sure flow control valve is all the way open.
I assumed it was primed all the way since it started overflowing, but since I have zero experience with these things I'll take your word for it. Will post an update in a few minutes when I try again.

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah, mine leaked from the side as well when first get it started. I even emailed Fluval about it but they didn't seem too concerned. I think once you get more experience with getting it primed you'll be fine. I've had mine up and running for over 6 months now and haven't had any problems with it leaking.

GabeLeo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I always had a devil of a time getting my fluvals to start. Thankfully I don't use them anymore. They will leak a little every time you put the top back on and start it but it should stop once the it runs full on when all the air is out of it. There were times when it just kept leaking so I would set them on a towel to catch the water if it kept leaking, but it was rare. To start them going I always had to tilt them back and forth and then prime them. Sometimes I had to tilt them almost horizontal while priming them to get them started.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't you fill the canister at least 2/3 full with dechlorinated water before you even put the lid on it and start it up? I have 2 fluval fx5's and that's how I've always primed them. Have had both of them over 15 years and have never had a leak, dribble or problem except when seals needed to be replaced. You shouldn't have to tilt or move them to get them to work.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Alright, totally my fault here. I pushed the headgasket too far up so it wasn't resting properly to create a seal...
Don't you fill the canister at least 2/3 full with dechlorinated water before you even put the lid on it and start it up? I have 2 fluval fx5's and that's how I've always primed them. Have had both of them over 15 years and have never had a leak, dribble or problem except when seals needed to be replaced. You shouldn't have to tilt or move them to get them to work.
According to the directions and the video fluval made you don't do that for this series. Leaving the canister empty; Pump the priming handle a few times to start a siphon, let the canister fill up and then plug it in.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alright, totally my fault here. I pushed the headgasket too far up so it wasn't resting properly to create a seal...

According to the directions and the video fluval made you don't do that for this series. Leaving the canister empty; Pump the priming handle a few times to start a siphon, let the canister fill up and then plug it in.
Okay. I'm using a dinosaur fluval. I don't think they even sell the fx5 any more. These fluvals are gems.
Glad you have your gaskets in order now lol!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I mean the fx6 isn't that new, but there have been a few models in between.
Thanks for the help all of you, I'm sure I'll have a dozen more questions about this thing haha.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I dont know much about fluval canister but i figure all canister has almost same funtion.If you want it pump water up ,you need to fill all intake and outtake with water.The way i do my is : get the bucket,put canister filter in ,then open lid just a bit to let water fill the hose and puss the air in canister all out,then shut close it when water spill out to bucket to ensure water line is full fill ( make sure the 2 hose are deep in tank water) .After all that done.put canister to your cabinet !turn on canister then water will circulated...Good luck!

Some good tip over 1-2-3 * review ...at amazon ..The guy has same problem as you have,.Hope you find it help there on this new tech canister..
I cant copy it due forum policy..So sorry ! Dam dead duck....on me.
https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A212-306-External-Filter/dp/B005QRDDWY/ref=asc_df_B005QRDDWY/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345015853394&psc=1

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It has to start syphoning first (to fill the filter and put the impellor into water).
The filter doesn't work by sucking water but only by pumping water out (vacuum and gravity fill it again).

Can you pull the outlet hose out of the tank? Keep it in a bucket under waterlevel.
If it doesn't start running give a suck on it.
When it starts running that means the syphoning started and the filterhead is filled. Then reconnect and plug it in.

The rattling is the impellor running in air instead of water.

qquake2k

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 206, 306, and 406, and I've never had these problems with any of them. I've had and used them for years. So I'm at a loss.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 206, 306, and 406, and I've never had these problems with any of them. I've had and used them for years. So I'm at a loss.
It is ok..It is totaly new to him on what he has .Give him a hand ,he will figure out soon.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I did get it figured out, I put the headgasket on wrong. Tucked it up under a lip on the lid instead of in the groove for it...it's running now though

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always found if i run the output into a bucket on the floor until all the air is purged, stop it and put the hose back in the tank it works much smoother.

Beneful1

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had my Fluval canister for almost 20 years and after a cleaning and putting all the trays in I fill it to the rim with water from the tank using a small plastic pitcher, then I put the lid on and pour a few more ounces of water into the inlet.. then put the hoses on and start it up.. it may take a few pumps to get it going but sometimes not. I'll try syphoning it next time just to see if it makes a difference. Oh.. and don't forget to give it another tilt in all directions right away,, and then again after about 30-60 minutes to be sure you have gotten all the air out.. you'd be surprised how much may still be in there after 60 minutes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom