Canister Leaks

1. ChelseaW Initiate Member

Hi, I have a Aquatop CF400UV canister. This is my first fish tank and I've had this tank and canister for about 7 months now with no issues.
    Today I cleaned out my canister as usual but as I was putting the lid back on it was harder than usual for me to snap the latches down on the lid. I may have forced it and broke something because now it's leaking from around where the latches are.
    I thought maybe I just didn't place the trays nice and snug so I took it all apart and tried to make sure everything was good. It still leaks even after that.
    Do I need a whole new canister? It doesn't look like anything is broken, but then again this is pretty new to me and I'm not sure how to fix this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

*I've been cleaning my canister out once a week. I have 5 fancy goldfish and read that they need regular water changes and such. Not sure if the frequent canister cleaning may cause wear and tear on the lid.

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

First off, I do not have this filter, but I do have a question:
    is there a rubber gasket between the canister body and the latch-on top? if so, maybe the gasket is not set correctly.

3. ChelseaW Initiate Member

There is a rubber ring that goes around the lid but it seems to be in place

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Put some vaseline at the rubber ring. That might help.