Canister flow question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Lupinus, Apr 10, 2012.

  1. LupinusValued MemberMember

    Quick question on water flow/current.

    I'm using an Aquatop (Perfect, SunSun, think a few other brands) CF-400 which is rated at 370 GPH and is producing a little more current then I think I'd, and the fish, would like. This is in my 40 gallon breeder.

    I have the spray bar positioned on the side wall (so water moves right to left, rather than back to front) with it positioned just below the surface, angled up at about 45 degrees. The current moves in a circular pattern, moving towards the spray bar along the back of the aquarium and away from it along the front. I've also tried drilling the holes a little larger which did help a bit. It's not so strong that the fish can't move about without being blown around, but if they don't actively hold position it will move them around, make the plants wave about in the water a bit, etc. There are some spots they can rest but they are near the bottom almost right under the spray bar, and as I add more fish that could get congested. Am I worry to much and this is fine normal current? My only frame of reference is my 100gph Penguin HOB on my ten gallon which doesn't move anything around at all unless it's right below the outlet so maybe I'm just over thinking this.

    I can try and get a video if that helps, but it'll just be a cell hone vid so not the best quality.

    So, thoughts? Just leave it be? Drill even bigger holes? Something like this-   and if so I imagine I'd install it on the outlet?

    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

    You could drill small holes in the back of the spraybar, or even put a hole in the end cap - lessening the pressure will lower the amount of current

    Perhaps a more useful solution would be to install a flow regulator (ball valve) in the return line. The hardware store will have this and it shouldn't cost much. Then you can adjust the flow - my only gripe with the filter.
  3. LupinusValued MemberMember

    Gotcha, so hardware store (Lowes/Home Depot is what we have around here...) should have basically the same thing as what I linked to? Never looked for one there so didn't know they would carry it lol.

    I imagine it shouldn't hurt anything long term correct? I mean, wont increase internal pressure or hurt the impeller/motor or anything by restricting the outflow? Still new with these things :)
  4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

    +1 Jaysee.

    A ball-valve shouldn't cause you any trouble, as long as you don't completely close it.
  5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

    That's the method that most canisters use to regulate flow.
  6. LupinusValued MemberMember

    Thanks all.

    I'll check for one at the local places have one that would work before I go the online route.
  7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

    You won't need to go online :) I would start looking in the plumbing section. Make sure you know what the diameter is of your tubing, and get some clamps.
  8. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

    I'd make sure you know both the inside and outside diameter of the tubing - depending on which way the valvle works (male or female ends), or if you've got some spare tubing, take it with you.

    And given this will be outside the tank, I'd look for the screw type metal clamps ;) but don't over-tighten them or you could squash the fittings. If you can't find screw clamps at the hardware, most auto spares places have them...
  9. LupinusValued MemberMember

    No spare tubing but Google looks like it's 5/8

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice