Canister Filtration

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by acjag, Aug 17, 2019.

1. acjag

acjagValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    For those of you using a canister filter, I'm curious to what media you're using for filtration. I currently have a HOB with Matrix on one side and a bag of Purigen and some cut to fit filter pads for a Aqueon 55/70 in the other half. I'm planning on changing to a 265GPH canister filter and want to accompany that with a Seachem Tidal 75. Does anyone think this might be overkill on filtration? I like how the Tidal 75 has a skimmer and want to make sure I have enough circulation and surface agitation for my moderately planted fish aquarium. The 265GPH may have enough for all my 55 gallon requirements but I'm not sure because I have never used a canister filter. How do you place your media is another question. I have my own thoughts but like to hear yours.

2. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,281
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your 265 gph new canister and your Tidal 75 will be plenty for your 55 gallon tank. I have a 75 gallon running a Sunsun 370 gph and a Tidal 75 too. Sunsun bottom tray is coarse, medium and fine pads. Next two trays are full of Matrix. Tidal 75, standard blue medium foam and 2 Pinky floss then totally filled with bags of Matrix.

3. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,550
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Why not 2x Tidal 75's. Canisters can be great filtration, but must be maintained just like you would an Aqua Clear or Tidal. Years ago I ran a Marineland Magnum 330 Canister. It was a top notch canister for the time. I learned how inconvenient, messy and burdensome it was to clean out a canister. If you're set on a canister, Fluval or Ehiem are the go to manufacturers.

4. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,719
    Experience:
    2 years
    @acjag
    I made the switch to canisters awhile back. Right now I have an Eheims 2217 and 2215 along with 2 sponge filters on my 55g Discus tank.. So do I think over filtration is bad. Not at all as you can see. IMHO the more filtration the better for the inhabitants and of course water changes.
    As far as media I use what is supplied. I have seen a few feeds/posts of keepers adjusting the amount/type/position of media. Hey, different strokes for different folks.

Good Luck

5. OP
    OP
    acjag

acjagValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Now that you have switched to a canister filter, what's your thoughts on the move? Have you noticed more or less algae? Does your nitrates stay lower? In other words have you noticed any difference using one over the other? I know from experience that HOB are very convenient but spending time tinkering with aquarium doesn't bother me actually I feel it relieves stress. I was thinking of trying Chemipure green filter media for planted aquariums. Haven't heard much on hear about it though, not sure if it's worth spending the money.

6. Celestialpearl

CelestialpearlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    Pretty much all canisters come with filter media. Usually some course sponge, a small bag of ceramics, carbon and a fine filter pad.

I set the carbon aside and save for another day/project. I trace the outline of the fine filter pad on a polyester sheet and cut out a duplicate. Then I put one fine pad after the course sponge followed by my biological media, then the cut out and the fine sponge if the set had one. If not I’ll make one using the fine filter pad as a template.

I always get more ceramics to add to the basket because I don’t think they ever come with enough. If I have some poly fill or sponge from another filter I put it in the canister to help seed it.

I like canisters so much I put a fluval 107 on my 10 gal. It puts out more than my HOB did and has actually helped with the weird string algae I got by decreasing stagnant areas, my plant growth increased and the plants grew healthier due to increased flow (I think), the intake and output take up much less room, it is silent (tank is in my bedroom) where the HOB was not, my water is much clearer, and the protein film doesn’t accumulate as quickly on the water surface.

Canisters also give the option to hide equipment and use it in a efficient manner such as inline heaters, inline uv sterilizers, and inline co2 atomizers.

The down side is servicing. You have to take them apart every 6-12mo to clean the sponges. You don’t have to do it often but you do have to disassemble the entire thing and it can get a little messy if you’re not paying attention.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019