Canister Filtration?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bad Wolf, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Bad WolfWell Known MemberMember

Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing a canister filter, mostly because I'm not convinced my two internal filters are adequate for my tank. At the moment, I have two internal filters, filtering at about 1,200 Litres/ph and 1,500 Litres/ph. The 1200L/ph is an Aqua One Maxi 103F. The other I just got second hand off a friend, and I don't know any details.

My tank is 55 Gallons and is occupied by an Opaline Gourami, four adult Angelfish, four Bronze Cory Catfish, 13 Zebra Danios and a Bristlenose Catfish. I've recently detected signs of Ammonia in my tank. Would a canister filter prevent Ammonia spikes in the tank?

What type of canister filter should I be considering? (Brand, size, power etc, I know nothing about them).

Thanks

2. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

I really think it depends a lot on how much you want to spend.
    Cascade is decent for its price, i have always had good luck with them.
    Eheim is also pretty good and Kensfish.com has them on sale right now for a good price, you might be looking at the right time.
    here is their link.  

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Internal filters can only hold a minimal amount of media, so yes it is possible that that is why you are getting ammonia. If your filtration is not up to the job, you will have persistent ammonia problems, not an isolated incident. Canisters hold SIGNIFICANTLY more media, so yes that will solve your problem.

I'm not sure whats available to you down under, but I'm certain that you will be more than happy with the switch.

4. cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The OP lives in australia - I don't think they have the same options we have.

6. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Cool! Link didn't work though.

8. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUNSUN-H...in_0&hash=item460b758869&_uhb=1#ht_1646wt_882

PS: You were too fast Jaysee, I was in the process of trying to fix the link.

Alas I just noticed that the seller is located in Chicago, and international postage to Australia from Chicago may not be worth it. Oh, well!

Here are two that ship from Australia though, so they are available over there too: (Though I would hope you could get it a bit cheaper than this.)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JT302A-1...lies&hash=item5d38e97dd9&_uhb=1#ht_2508wt_882

or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HW-302-1...lies&hash=item3cc4a94b7e&_uhb=1#ht_4053wt_846

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  9. Bad WolfWell Known MemberMember

Hi all,

So this is literally one of the first and most commonly seen canister filter on eBay (from what I've seen). It's also at a reasonable price, considering I don't have a high income.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1200LPH-...ies&hash=item51a6cc70e3&_uhb=1#ht_4155wt_1156

Or even this one (though this might be a little extreme) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayI...438405887026&item=271046349841#ht_4068wt_1156

At 1200 litres an hour, does this seem appropriate for my tank size and population? There isn't a lot of detail on this canister filter; I don't even know the brand!

What do you think?

Thanks

EDIT: I actually think it may be Eheim, but I'm no certain.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Aquarium filters have one moving part - a magnet that spins around the impeller, spinning the impeller. It's not complicated. Some filters have more bells and whistles than others, but they all work the same way.

I have two canisters on my 55 - one that does 300 gph and the other 265 gph.

11. Bad WolfWell Known MemberMember

Just an update guys (thought it'd be better than starting a new post?)

So I've decided to get a canister filter. Does this one seem okay?
    It's designed to filter up to 500 litres and powers at 1500 Litres p/h. It has a UV light inside it, is this considered better?

One major problem though. According to its size, my aquarium stand is way to small to fit it underneath. I've had a look at a lot of canister filters, it seems all filters are too small to fit underneath. Would it be unsafe to cut/alter my fish tank stand to allow more space for the filter?

Thanks

EDIT:

Better yet, I'm considering the Eheim Classic 2217. On eBay, it's valued at $255.00 AUD, but on the following website, it's valued at $177.00 AUD. Could this be a miracle bargain, or a possible scam? :confused:

YET ANOTHER EDIT :)

So I'm also considering the same Eheim filter, but the smaller 2215, recommended for up to 350 Litres. I'd rather go with the larger one for reliability, but the smaller one is more practical as it would fit more satisfactory in my small stand.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  12. HonosNew MemberMember

I recently purchases a Ehiem 2215 for my 30 gallon tank. I so far love it better than any HOB filters I had before. It's so quiet I can't even hear it under the cabinet in the stand its in. The only thing I found difficult was the setup. The instructions with it are poor. Luckily between YouTube and FishLore there is a lot of tutorials on how to setup a Ehiem. So far I like it.

13. tocandesuWell Known MemberMember

The first filter is a Sun-Sun...

14. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

We use multiple filters on our tanks. All have UG filters, and most also have power heads. There are also Marineland magnum 350 canisters along with Marineland Penguin 350, 200 HOB. I like the Marineland filters because of their simplicity and relative low cost. I have been using them since they came out and not once have had any trouble with them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice