Canister Filtration Systems for 72G Bow Front Cichlid Tank

1. csutter1

csutter1 Valued Member Member

Hello again,

I was initially planning on going the route of power filters for my tank but after looking at different tanks for inspiration, I decided I want to keep my tank looking as natural as possible (no HOB's) so I'm now considering canisters instead.
    First, what canisters would you recommend for a 72G bow front that will be used to house African Cichlids? I'm also curious as to how obvious the attachment parts that sit in the aquarium are as I want something that is as low profile as possible. And finally, do all canisters come with spray bars? If so, how much surface disruption does this offer? Will it be enough to oxygenate my tank or do I need to find another method? I think I've even heard of canisters offering the option of adding oxygen to the water but I may be mistaken...
    Then there's always the issue of activated carbon. How does that work into canister filters???
    Any and all info you can pass along to my eager eyes and ears would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

A SunSun 304 would work well. It's affordable and has a lot of room to add and customize your media. It also has a spray bar. Every canister filter should have a spray or something similar because it needs to return the water to the tank. And yes, a spray bar is enough add oxygen to the tank. You're just looking for a disruption of the surface.
    For your charcoal, it can still be added. You just want to add it somewhere that is somewhat easily accessible since you'll have to swap it out regularly.

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I totally agree, the SunSun's are awesome filters, best value in canisters. You can get 2 or 3 of these filters for the price of one of the more expensive brand names. Another option would be to go with 2 of the smaller SunSun HW-302's. This would be plenty of filtration for your 72 gallon. It would have tons of media space/options and you would be able to stagger cleaning to help preserve the beneficial bacteria. Recently someone said that the HW-302's were going for around $30 on ebay including shipping.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    csutter1

Thank you! I just did some research on the SunSun 304 and I know it comes with a UV bulb but that all of the smaller models (like the 302) don't include it. How important is that UV bulb for sterilization and such?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I've never used a uv sterilizer but from what I know they make your water very clear. It gets rid of free floating algae and other stuff

7. d

dakota Valued Member Member

On my 72 bow front I am using the Eheim 2075. Great filter and like the spray bar return as mentioned before another option. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish

8. OP
    OP
    csutter1

Any recommendations on media? I think I'm leaning toward the SunSun HW-303B.

9. Theman1

Theman1 Valued Member Member

From what I have read they are not very effective on the sun sun because the flow is too fast. I do recommend the sun sun canisters. I have a 304 and a 302 and I love them.

10. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I don't have the 304 myself. I have the next model down. As far as the UV sterilizer, it's never on. There's just a lot of conflicting opinions as to whether or not the flow speed negates the benefit of the UV, like @Theman1 said. They have some sort of spiral flow built in to slow the water down a bit. Don't know if it works or not.
    And media is totally up to you. I'm a big, big fan on MarinePure, which is what I use in my SunSun. It costs a bit more than other media but the surface area is staggering. Maybe google it and see what you think. And there are TONS of good media choices out there. Eheim SubStrat Pro and Fluval BioMax are both top notch.

11. K

Kareen Valued Member Member

12. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I use Seachem Matrix media, its cheap and does a great job. Has tons of surface area via the millions of tiny pores in the rocks.