Canister Filter

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What's a good Canister Filter for a 44 gallon? The brands I am able to get are AquaOne, Fluval and Eheim. Looking to spend about $250 maximum. The tank is an AquaOne AR-850 by the way.

Thanks,
Jake

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you probably want at least 1000lph (260GPH)

I'd consider the following:

Eheim Classic 2217 ($255 + p/h online)
Fluval 305 ($225 + p/h online)

I haven't used aqua-one filters.

My opinion and experience, the Eheim is probably the better filter in the sense that it is more efficient in filtering pretty much 100% of the water flowing through it.
I do prefer the media basket arrangement and the quick release valves on the Fluvals.
The hoses are larger on the Fluval and ships with a 'duck bill' return as opposed to a spray bar in the Eheim.
Fluval also has a priming lever.

If budget wasn't a problem, I'd go the Eheim Pro 2226 ($315) over the Classic because they look like they'd be less frustrating to me when maintanence is required.

If you want the link for the online shop, let me know and I'll pm it to you

[edit: ALL PRICES ARE AUD inc GST]

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Geesh, buy a Sunsun 302 for $45 on Ebay. Beats all the others hands down.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
l like the eheim, its works great however since it is a german company, the instructions that are given with the canister have been translated and can be a little frustrating to read, i have two ehiems and they work great, maintance is about 15 to 20 min every 6 months, i also added hang on filters to compensate and keep water aeration at the top, you should be able to get an eheim canister 2217 for around $160, think thats what i paid at my ls, and a hangon filter of 400gph and you would be set

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would check out the Sunsun as well. Eheim is great if you got the money but Sunsun is the choice for the budget minded. I would also throw a Rena XP3 in the mix.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never seen or heard of Sunsun filters. We don't get spoiled for choice like you guys in the US do. There are really only 5 major canister filter brand in Aus & you can usually only get the 3 that Jake mentioned.

I would also go with a Eheim 2217 though you won't get them for under $200 anymore. $220 is the cheapest in Aus at the moment for a 2217. Alternatively you could go with an Aqua-One Aquis 1200 which is more efficient than the packaging claims. They are a pretty decent filter for the money. You should be able to pick one up for under $200. Unless Fluval is much cheaper in Sydney than Perth, they are in the get a bank loan territory. The cheapest Fluval over here runs at $350, I forget for which model though.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sunsun Hands down. I got one of my 100 gal african cichlid. Great flow and super clean with the 5 stage filtration.

Here you go Nutter picture is attached. Yes that is right next to my Magnum 350.

Attachments

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Riv. Looks ok other than the lack of quick release hoses. That would make cleaning a pain but there are ways to make that easier. Shame those sorts of things are not available in Australia though.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fluval is not too bad at Petbarn. I can't remember the prices but it seemed roughly equivalent to Aqua One. Jake, doesn't that tank have a hood with an inbuilt filter? I have a 620T which I thought was similar. I can't find the model numbers on the Aqua one website so I may be way off the mark here. I'm not too impressed with the filter in mine but the tank I have is a bit over stocked They don't have that much space to get the tubing in and out with the hood. I had a HOB on the front of it for a bit for extra filtration but now I just have a sponge filter inside. Well I am actually running a Canister on it to cycle for a new tank but I just have the tubing hanging out the front. I'll be really keen to here how you get it set up.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EHEIM Classic 2217.

You can find it for around $160 online.

It has GPH of 264 with media inside. Since you won't have 100% water in your tank(minus the substrate, decorations, other objects, space above water, etc.) you won't have more than 40 gallon of water. It should go through all of your water 7 times per hour. Which is very very good for a canister filter.

In my opinion, you can settle for something smaller, like a 2215 or even a 2213. Since 2217 will create so much current in your tank.

I have a 40 gallon, with probably only 30 gallon of actual water. I use a 2213 myself, with a Hydro Sponge II as pre-filter on the intake. Lots of current from the spray bar.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nutter said:
Thanks Riv. Looks ok other than the lack of quick release hoses. That would make cleaning a pain but there are ways to make that easier. Shame those sorts of things are not available in Australia though.
Actually Nutter The Sunsun has a little tab between the hoses that when you lift the tab acts like a valve and locks the water from the hoses from spilling out. Is a great filter. The room for filter media is incredibly big. I love this filter specially for tanks with messy fish.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get sunsun here in NZ, so I would have thought they're available in Aus too. Although I'd definitely recommend an Eheim over a sunsun if moneys not an issue.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Vash said:
EHEIM Classic 2217.

You can find it for around $160 online.
I'm pretty sure Jake and Nutter are talking Australian dollars. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is atm but by the time you factor that in and postage on such a big item, it will probaly work out the same as our local prices, well over $200 AUD.
Some things work out better from the US. Lots don't.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nick Goody said:
You can get sunsun here in NZ, so I would have thought they're available in Aus too. Although I'd definitely recommend an Eheim over a sunsun if moneys not an issue.
Money is not the issue when the same filter has $20 in plastic and a $10 pump the size of your fist. Just not worth spending $160 when I can get it for $45.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For the Aussies following this, I just found the Sunsun online.

All prices are AUD including GST, excluding p&h:
JHW-302 - 1000lph, $99
JHW-303 - 1400lph, $129
JHW-303B - 1400lph + 9W UV Ster, $149
JHW-304B - 2000lph + 9W UV Ster, $249

I also found the Rena XP3 at $375

For those interested, send me a pm for details of the online stores.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also recommend the HOT Magum. Cheaper than most canisters and it works great on my 50 gallon.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Fluval 305 on my 30 gallon. I would be inclined to go with a 405, personally. I really like my Fluval. I've heard good things about eheims and renas as well.

I don't know about the off brand from ebay - may be worth a try, especially if you get a smaller, more known filter to run beside it.

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well I've narrowed it down to the Eheim 2215/2217, the AquaOne Aquis 1200 or the Fluval 405. The prices I've got are from $145 to $295. The fluval is most expensive so that rules it out. Now its between the Eheim and AquaOne. What one?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd go for the eheim personally, quality filters.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't really comment on which one as I haven't used Aqua-one filters.

But I gotta ask, what's wrong with the 1000lph wet/dry trickle filter that comes with the AR850 setup?

I'd personally wait and see how the standard filter performs, and if it's not up to scratch, then look at adding a second filter to the system, maybe a little smaller (Eheim 2215), rather than forking out another $300 odd un-necessarily.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads