Canister Filter 60 Gallon Tank 

ghost

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
could someone please tell me which canister filter is the best for my 60 gal aquqrium??

the one i'm thinking bout is the Eheim Classic xternal Canister(2213),this one i have to order thou.
does any one know any thing bout this one or of a better one??

any help would be grateful.
thanx

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Ghost, Welcome to Fishlore! I run an Eheim Classic 2217 on my 75gal, which is superb. If your not keeping really messy fish, I'd probably go for the Eheim Classic 2215 for a 60gal tank if I were you.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
General opinion on Eheim filters is that the only thing they don't do well on is price so if you can afford it, get it. The 2213 is too small for a 60 gallon though. In the filters section fo the forum there are quite a few threads on best filters, filtration rates etc. Have a little browse through there. I don't have a classic. I have a professional II and it is great. I have just ordered a 2217 for my new 450 litre tank though. You need to factor in the fact that they only come with the sponges, not the substrat and the other stuff and they work best **** those.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Filters and Filtration section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

Thanks!
Ken

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For a 60g I'd get the 2215 or 2217.

The Classics are usually Eheim's most reasonably priced canisters. Check online at Petsmart ... Kensfish.com ... and some of the other well known retailers. Also check ebay.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With a canister, you want one that will filter about 300 gph. I'd go with the 2250. Maybe the 2217.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The Rena FILSTAR XP2 does 300gph.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mosin360 said:
The Rena FILSTAR XP2 does 300gph.
Yeah, but the media compartment is a bit small for a 60 IMO. I run an XP2 on my 30. I would go with the XP3 over the 2

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What would you think the max tank size is for the XP3?

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If price is a concern I would recommend a Sunsun Filter on a heartbeat. I got one on my 100 gal and is a 5 stage. 4 trays for filter media and a UV filter. It looks like this.

That is the one I have but they come is smaller sizes down to 3 stages. I love this filter.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
navyscuba said:
If price is a concern I would recommend a Sunsun Filter on a heartbeat. I got one on my 100 gal and is a 5 stage. 4 trays for filter media and a UV filter. It looks like this.

That is the one I have but they come is smaller sizes down to 3 stages. I love this filter.
The brand name is Jumbo? I like to check several sites on filters to get a good feel of their quality and reputation.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The Rena filters while good filters are misleading with the GPH rating. These ratings are when the filters have no media. When mediza is added it reduces the GPH about 1/3-1/2
I would use a XP3 on a 55 but anything bigger and I would jump up to the next size or run two smaller filters.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So let me put it like this. A canister filter would be say $150 while a pair of AC70s would be $110. Which would you choose?

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mosin360 said:
The brand name is Jumbo? I like to check several sites on filters to get a good feel of their quality and reputation.
You can find them as SUNSUN or Perfect brand is the same company marketing with different names. Is the same company that makes marineland canister filters. Check this link and compare them you see that the tray design is the same, also the hose hook ups are the same even the purge valve.

Regarding to the question above i choose my sunsun. I love aquaclear but I'm hooked with my Sunsun. The picture attached is a pic of the sunsun next to a magnum 350.

Attachments

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, I must say I never thought to look for 'off brand' filters on ebay. You have opened my eyes. I shall make a note of this whenever I'm in the need of a canister.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mosin360 said:
What would you think the max tank size is for the XP3?
I think around the 60-75 gallon mark, ALTHOUGH it really matters what the tank is stocked with.

Nate McFin said:
The Rena filters while good filters are misleading with the GPH rating. These ratings are when the filters have no media. When mediza is added it reduces the GPH about 1/3-1/2
I would use a XP3 on a 55 but anything bigger and I would jump up to the next size or run two smaller filters.
ALL filters make their GPH claims based on an empty filter (no media).

mosin360 said:
So let me put it like this. A canister filter would be say $150 while a pair of AC70s would be $110. Which would you choose?
Again, I think the answer depends on what your stock is.

mosin360 said:
Well, I must say I never thought to look for 'off brand' filters on ebay. You have opened my eyes. I shall make a note of this whenever I'm in the need of a canister.
I've been looking at them but afraid to pull the trigger....I've even started a thread asking if anyone's used them.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
I think around the 60-75 gallon mark, ALTHOUGH it really matters what the tank is stocked with.

ALL filters make their GPH claims based on an empty filter (no media).

Again, I think the answer depends on what your stock is.

I've been looking at them but afraid to pull the trigger....I've even started a thread asking if anyone's used them.
I was really afraid that I was going to loose my money but after a lot of research on aquaricentral members I saw lots of people using Jebo and Sunsun filters.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
navyscuba said:
I was really afraid that I was going to loose my money but after a lot of research on aquaricentral members I saw lots of people using Jebo and Sunsun filters.
At the moment I have an xp3 and a 305 on my 90, but as my stock grows I'm going to be switching things around. I was going to swap the 305 for another xp3, but then I was considdering an FX5 which would free up both filters for other applications . However, for less than the price of an FX5, I could have 1000 GPH with 2 Ebay filters, and I do like having opposing canisters.

Could you tell me the interior design - how the media compartments are set up and the flow of water?

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
At the moment I have an xp3 and a 305 on my 90, but as my stock grows I'm going to be switching things around. I was going to swap the 305 for another xp3, but then I was considdering an FX5 which would free up both filters for other applications . However, for less than the price of an FX5, I could have 1000 GPH with 2 Ebay filters, and I do like having opposing canisters.

Could you tell me the interior design - how the media compartments are set up and the flow of water?
In the previous post on this threat I posted the DFS site where there's a video of the Marineland Canister filter The video on the bottom of it shows the trays of the marineland canisters well the trays are the same as those on the video. Also the gap between trays and side of the canister is really small almost to none which eliminates water bypassing the filtration. The filter comes with a surface skimmer that you can use or not.(your Choice) and a spray bar. I have been looking for an FX5 that won't break the bank for a while. I saw one sold for $40 but I was too late. Bump. It was used but it worth it. I also like the 2 filter set up I have the Sunsun on one sode and the Magnum HOT for polishing. I gotta tell you this Sunsun filters got a lot of water flow. Another good thing is that compared to canisters that have the impeller on the bottom of the canister this one have it on top so is great for tanks that have sand as substrate.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, these Jebo canisters are just dirt cheap but being from China, I suspect its cheaply made. They seem to be quite popular on ebay as well. You could buy two of those Jebos for the same price of one name brand.

From the Google results I found. People say their gph is a bit weak and some parts are very easy to break. So, it really does seem you can buy two and be really nice to them or buy one name brand and not worry about breaking stuff.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads