Canister Filter Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cousincat, Apr 23, 2018.

1. CousincatNew MemberMember

What size tank would you really upgrade to a canister filter? I recently inherited a 55 gallon that I plan on setting up in the future, however I don't have a filter for it and dont know if a regular HOB Filter would suffice.
    Any help would be appreciated!

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

40 gallon and bigger probably depending on the fish
    I would mainly use it on a 75 gallon though otherwise for my goldfish I use sponge filters and do weekly water changes

3. OP
    OP
    C

CousincatNew MemberMember

Thank you!

4. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Anything OVER 40. For my 40's and less, I use HOBs. Ive even used 2 HOBs on a 55 a few times.

5. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

There's no "rule" for this. Canister filters come in all sizes. If you want a larger volume of mechanical / biomedia - then a canister is the way to go.

6. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I have a 55g that has two HOB running the tank. I don't think there's an official rule to this. In my opinion I think it depends on what fish you have in the tank. So if you went large cichilds in that tank I would look at getting a canister but IMO, I think 75g is when I would consider getting a canister .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice