Canister filter

1. AndrewJ54

AndrewJ54 Valued Member Member

I am looking for a canister filter for my new 55 gallon tank. I really can't decide what brand to go with. I've seen a few different options and really like the Fluval 306 because it has a lot of baskets and space for different media types only downside is the price. I've also heard of its great mechanical and biological filtration so that's a plus! If anyone has any suggestions I would gladly appreciate it, I'm going to try and get asap to start cycling the tank soon.

2. MinhMai

MinhMai Valued Member Member

You can make any canister filter have great mechanical and biological filtration depending on what media you put into it. So I would choose one that has good reviews and reliability balanced with price. Fluval is expensive all across their products, but can't deny they're good. Although some noticeable weaknesses were in the old 404s like flimsy impeller covers and noisy impellers when they wear down. Don't know if they've been worked out in the new line or if they're still there to keep you buying parts or replacing them.

3. OP
    OP
    AndrewJ54

AndrewJ54 Valued Member Member

Read some reviews about this and many people stated that hey reduced the noise considerably and weren't as prone to parts breaking down. Do you have any recommendations aside from Fluval?

4. MinhMai

MinhMai Valued Member Member

I've only ever owned one old fluval 404, so I have no experience with any others. Some other brands you can check out are Eheim, Hydor, Penn Plax, and SunSun. There are more out there I just can't think of them right now.