Canister filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by NicoFord, Jul 17, 2015.

1. NicoFord

NicoFord Valued Member Member

Anyone recommend a great canister filter rated for up 100 gallons. Preferably ones that you have used personally for at last a year. Price isn't an issue

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have two of these running now. I have been using them since they first came out. They are simple. I like simple.

3. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

I have Eheim classic series in all my tanks. They do an excellent job. Ingot them at Kens.free shipping over $50 and fast, fast service.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I only use Eheim canisters. If you want a single filter, an Eheim 2260 would be all you need. If you want more than one, two 2217's would work. Like Jim, I get mine at Ken's

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't like the Eheims because some of them don't even have media baskets so cleaning can be difficult I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Cleaning a Eheim is easy. And no baskets means no bypass. I can clean a 2217 in about 15, 20 minutes. My 2262 can be done in about a half hour. Biggest problem with that monster is getting it out from underneath the tank.

8. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I agree, Eheim is a total workhorse. Cleaning them is not an issue. Lots of youtube vids on how to do it.

9. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

Watch some of those YouTube videos and see if that's something you won't mind. If it doesn't look like something you want to do, there are other zero-bypass filters that do use baskets. I use Rena/API Filstar filters, they are also zero bypass and I can have one tore down, completely cleaned, reassembled and running again in under 10 minutes. My oldest has been running non-stop and problem free for over 13 years.

Edit: Also keep in mind that under normal conditions a canister filter can go months in between cleanings, so ease of cleaning is less of an issue unless for some reason you're tearing it down every week or two to clean

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  10. OP
    OP
    NicoFord

NicoFord Valued Member Member

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll keep doing more research. Eheim looks good though

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Fluval fx-6. Am currently running this and love it.

12. p

peacelizard Valued Member Member

I also have an FX-6 and so far no complaints. Great filter, easy maintenance, just pricey. Think I paid $330 at Petsmart but can get cheaper online

13. S

Srrman New Member Member

I have been using a Marineland 360 canister filter for about 2 years. It is quiet, it hasn't leaked, it has good water flow, it is a bypass filter, it is considered a four-stage filter, and it is on the lower side of cost. I think you can get one new for around $170

14. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I have an eheim 2215 and a sunsun 303-b. They both have done a wonderful job so far. Haven't had them more than 6 months and the Sunsun is practically brand new. The eheim keeps my water perfect. Some people complain about the gph but I think it's ok. I have powerheads anyways. My only complaint is it doesn't have a primer system. You have to manually start a syphon with the return hose. Other than that. 5 star filter

15. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

Concerning the Eheim, if you turn off the filter and then close the 4 valves without disturbing the hoses you should not have to prime the filter again.
    Per Eheim's instructions you are supposed to return the filter - empty of water- after cleaning. If you do lose the prime, just apply a little suction to the top hose and the filter will fill up. You can watch it on the side.

16. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Yeah I cleaned the hoses out so I had to lose the suction but normally if I have to open I clamp the hose to preserve the syphon

17. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

I second the Fluval can filters! I went through just about every other filter type out there and fried them all because the area I live in gets power outages so frequently that even the so-called "self-priming" HOBs would run dry when the power came back on and they would inevitably fail to self-prime. I finally gave in and asked similar question but on a smaller scale (I only needed one for my 55g although I would dearly love to have upgraded at the same time to a 100 gallon tank!) including a vast range of exacting requirements I wanted met by whatever filter I chose.

I must have driven everyone here crazy with the amount of questions I had about literally EVERY aspect of the ones I was comparing and ended up going with a Fluval 306 after all was said and done. However, I probably would have gone with the 406 (which I believe is able to go up to 100g if I am not mistaken) had they not been sold out at the time since I needed it right away and did not have time to wait for it to come back in stock. My brother has the same on his tank as well, and we have put both of ours to the test with all sorts of (unintended!) abuse thanks to several unforeseen circumstances we collectively have run into along the way since getting our respective filters and they have both continued running like new. More importantly, they have kept the various incidents from ever affecting our fish no matter what has been thrown at them. While you would obviously have to either scale up or equip your tank with dual filters for 100g, I can't say enough about the Fluval can filters!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice