Canister Filter recommendations - Replacement for a C-360

1. cvilapla Initiate Member

I wanted to see what everyone thought about which canister filter would be better. So I have been doing my research and I have narrowed it down to 2. The Xp3 and the Fluval 406. I just wanted to see what everyone thought, or if they had any suggestions.

I have eliminated the Eheim 22075 because a lot of people seem to have priming issues and they start to leak through the priming button after time.

I eliminated the C-360s as I have had two of them and they both leaked through the valve lock and Marineland only replaced one and would not replace the other one and it is a frequent issue.

The FX5 also seems to have a lot of mixed reviews.

Any feedback or input would be great.

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I have a Fluval Canister and I love it. It works like a charm, I have never had any trouble with it except when old duffous here switched the intake and outake valves and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. It is easy to Prime. When I did call for technical support about the reversal, they were very prompt, friendly, and helpful. I got my problem fixed over the phone right away.

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I have the Rena XP3 canister on my 75 gallon and love, love, love it. No issues. Self-priming. Holds a ton of bio media of all kinds. Low maintenance. No leaks. Highly recommend it.

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Rena Brands of Canisters have the most positive opinions. They really do have a great rep and customer service. The same goes to the FX5... Most people say great things about it.

Modern Day Fluvals are also very good, but their customer services are terrible. Rena is cheaper than them as well. Both, in terms of filtration quality, are fantastic though

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The rena XPs are my favorites. A close second are the aquatops (aka perfect, sunsun) and in third are the fluvals.

Everyone has their own favorites, and they tend to be the ones they use ;)

I've heard nothing but good things about the FX5.

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Sun Sun is actually a great option. For the price they come at they are really great.

I agree with the FX5. I havent had a bad comment about the FX5 either

7. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

I can not comment on performance just yet but I did do my home work and found that the best ratings and testimonials were more towards the Fluval canister filters. With that said that's what I ordered and I have it now still in the box. I purchased the 406 based on what I had read prior to me ordering it. I always research anything and price shop prior to making a larger purchase such as this.

8. Squirtle =) Member Member

I love my FX5, no issues with it, holds a fair amount of media for a canister, runs quieter then my eheims has a decent flow and not too much bypass + its also extremely good for mech, I find with other filters I have to add internals for mech, I do have messy fish but the FX5 so far is only one I can use without needing separate mech filtering, most likely due to the fact it holds more foam pads then most canisters.

I too read many good things about the xP series, I think with most of the main canisters now there is very little difference but a few minor roles, making it come more down to what people have used and trust.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How can you tell?

10. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I've ran the FX5 on my 125g for 2 years now and it's done a great job. No issues. It's huge and holds a lot of media. It's quiet. Shuts off every 24hrs for about 2 minutes to release air.

Ive got the XP3 on my planted 55g and it has been a great filter. No issues. I recommend it to anyone.

11. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I didnt know it did that!... What a great feature. That's something that will prolong the life of the filter 10 fold, nevermind the quietness of it because of that feature.

12. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

You saying the Fluval shuts off every 24 hours or so to release air?

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

For 2 minutes every 24 hours. It's computer chip controlled.

14. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

Wow that is pretty neat. I didnt know that. Good to know!

15. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thats the sort of thing that will make me buy that product over another.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Funny, it has no influence on me. But that's because air in the canister isn't a problem.....

17. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

It does for me. That just shows its built to run as efficient as possible. Any manufacturer is not going to put money into any feature on a product if there is not logical reason to do so. This increases the cost of every single unit for the maker and the customer. The directions for canister filters are to NOT place the intake near a air stone or air producing device. Canister filters are a suction running system. Air in the lines is a problem and will alter the strength/power of the system. Hence why any suction device must have a "air tight" connection so yes air in the lines is a problem. The machine will run but not full speed with air in the system. The perfect example is the U-TUBE on a wet/dry filter. When you start the suction there is a huge air pocket in that tube. The more air you suck out of that tube the flow of the water increases. You can see the air leaving the tube and more water flowing through.

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I run 12 canisters. 0 air stones. Air in the lines is not a problem :) I wasn't saying that it's not a problem TO have air in the lines. It was an explanation of why it's not a selling point for me.

I think anyone who positions their air stone near the filter intake (any style filter) deserves air in the system :) Under normal circumstances, there shouldn't be any air in the lines.

19. Reefdweller Well Known Member Member

Ahhh okay I read it as if over all air in the lines was not a problem for a canister filter - not that it was not a problem for you personally.

I understand now.

:;toast

20. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I've found with as little air in the filter system, the flow runs smoother, faster and hence more efficiently