Canister filter output questions

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by DeniseMichele, Jul 28, 2015.

1. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Hi all,

So I'm new to canister filters. My 55 gallon is cycled and still empty for the moment. I am running the SunSun 302 currently and I have some questions about output placement. I apologize as some of these have probably been asked before, but I couldn't find answers.

The way I have it currently is with the filter output (spraybar) and input on the same side of the tank. The filter spraybar is right at the surface of the water.

1. I know the tank will have plenty of flow because water is moving circular from one end to the other, but the sound of the water from the output spraybar can definitely be heard. I dont really mind the sound but I have tried turning the spraybar toward the glass and it didn't seem to move the water enough on the other end of the tank. The way the filter output is, I don't think I can position it underwater unless I place it vertically. Would that be acceptable?

2. But if I put my second filter (an HOB) on the opposite end of the tank, I guess I could change the spraybar position even if it decreases flow right?

3. At the same time I am concerned about placing the HOB on the opposite end because of plants, is this a valid concern or paranoia? lol

4. During the cycling process I didn't notice it (probably because of water changes) but it seems like the tank water level is decreasing (evaporation?) at a rapid rate. I am not positive about this, but it kinda seems like it could be related to the spray bar?

Thanks in advance!

2. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

Is there room for more water in your tank? I have a Sunsun 304b and the spray bar reaches a couple inches below the water surface. I just kept kept rotating the bar around until I found an angle that worked. Having said that, I don't see why you couldn't place it vertically.

I also have the intake and spray bar at almost opposite ends of the tank. From left to right, along the back is my HOB, canister spray bar, some space then the intake at the far right corner. I don't know that it really matters - someone else please chime in - it's just the way I ended up doing it. :)

My son's tank (10 gallon) seems to lose a lot more water to evaporation than mine (relatively) and he has a tighter fitting top. We haven't seen any leaks, so we just top it off as needed.

As far as filter near the plants, I would think that as long as they're not getting sucked up to the intake, you should be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Well, I could put more water, but the issue is that the other filter (a Tetra Whisper 20), is supposed to have its output above the water line. So I have the tank filled as high is I can without going above the water line. With the filter output, it has that curved bar over the side of the tank, so I can't move it down anymore.

The reason i placed the intake and output on the same side is that I read a thread on here that linked to an research article that said the best way to have good circulation was to have both on the same end.

4. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

Bear with me if I missed something you already answered since I am more than a wee bit sleep deprived at the moment. That being said, I did have a thought or two wandering through my mind:

-How far is the water level from the top of the tank and what's the distance between the spray bar and the water's surface?

-Just to clarify, is the idea to cut down on sound or improve circulation (or both)?

-Can you possibly post a picture or two of the tank/ filter output and their positioning for those of use with can filters by other makers besides SunSun? Just so we can see exactly what you are seeing and be better able to tailor advice to you setup...

-Last but not least, welcome to the world of can filters! You will probably have some ongoing tweaking until you find what works best for your preferences and your specific setup but once you hit that golden arrangement, you will likely never want to go back to anything other than a canister

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice