Canister Filter Life Expectancy?

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi All,

It has been a VERY long time since I've posted here. Too long I might say. It's nice to be back!

I was hoping for some advice on canister filter life expectancy. I've had my 90 gallon aquarium running for quite a few years now. When made the jump to keeping a larger tank I originally started with a 55 gallon tank, moved up to a 75 gallon, and then a 90 gallon. I've been utilizing the same canister filters since I moved up to the 90 gallon.

Currently, I'm running an Eheim Professional and Eheim classic on my 90. It occurred to me the other day that these filters are quite a few years old at this point. I clean them out every 3 months on a rotating basis.

Should I be concerned with how much life they have left in them? Should I be considering a replacement(s)? I believe I purchased the Classic in 2011 and the Professional shortly thereafter. Apart from regular cleanings, I've never replaced O rings or impellers. I'd rather not come home to a broken filter one day. My blood parrots are nearing 8 years old and I would be heartbroken if I lost them! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
I don't know what the life expectancy is... I've been running my Pro 2222 for probably 5 years now, maybe a bit longer, and it's showing no signs of slowing down [touch wood]

I have spare canister filters on hand, just in case something happens to the primary. I also have spare o-rings, impellers, shafts etc.

Depending on your means, I'd suggest keeping a spare canister on hand if you can, not because I think yours is about to go, just as piece of mind that if it did, you have one on hand.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Ryan! From what I've read so far, I know the Classic could last upwards of 10 years. They're built like army tanks. My main concern was the lifespan of my Pro II. You've put me at ease for now.

I do think I'd like to look into purchasing a backup to keep on hand. I haven't purchased any equipment in at least a year. I'm not really up to snuff with what the latest and greatest new stuff. I know I won't be able to buy another Pro II as they're discontinued. I have no experience with the next generation Eheims. Any recommendations? Are there any other noteworthy brands to look into?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm a bit of an Eheim snob, but that said, one of my spares is a Fluval, the other is a Classic, which runs, but I damaged by running with a broken impeller shaft Got the Pro 2222 on sale for same price as Classic, so no brainer

There was a period where Eheim moved a lot of manufacturing away from Germany, and the quality dropped (they also moved the heaters , and they've been very unreliable). I'm led to believe they took some of the manufacturing back to Germany. If you can still find ones that are made (not designed, made) in Germany, then I'd put my money on them.

But I was also quite happy with the Fluval. Loved their priming setup. Not a big fan of their tubing though, I much prefer the transparent tubing. Aqua One also make some good filters, Sun Sun; many Fishlore members use and love their Sun Sun. Cheap, and reliable. Based on what I know, for a spare, I'd probably look at a Sun Sun.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom