Canister filter leaking

ElAvayarde80

Reactions
That looks like a sunsun filter, they are know to be leak quite a bit if you dont get a really good seal when setting them up.

I would open back up, make sure that all the 4 clips that tigthen the head down are in good conditions and don't have cracks and then clean really good all around the head seal (where the o-rigng is at) and apply vaseline all around the o-ring. That will help you create a good seal if everything else in in good conditions.
I have several of those filters and even tho i like them they can be a pain when it comes making sure they are sealed right.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
2 years
I suggest to consider taking it apart and inspecting all the orings and gaskets.

The apply a food grade lube all over the rubber orings and seals. I use Danco Weatherproof Silicone Lube, but there are many to choose from.

After you put it all back together, consider using stainless steel hose clamps on the barbs where the hoses attach.

Also, it appears to be a lot of slack in the hoses. Consider shortening them.

Charlie’s Dad

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
We have several of the Sunsun filters also. I concur that they can be a tad contrite when sealing them back up for use. I do not know where or why they leak......and it is only on occasion and intermittent at that. Sometimes I can clean them and no leaks and another time leaks. Overall for the performance and cost I still favor them for a canister filter that won't break the bank.

New Threads