Canister filter input and output positioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skysong87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a fluval fx5 and an eheim classic 2217 for a 5ft tank and I'm just wondering what would be the best positioning for the input and output tubes inside the tank? Should I have the 2 inputs in the very far left back corner and the 2 outputs in the very far right corner? Or 1 input and 1 output in one corner and same in the other? Or should I have all of them spread out a little more?

Sorry for the weird questions but these are my first canisters and I was just wondering the best way to set them up!

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I actually asked the same question when I got my canister filter! Someone here on fishlore in response provided me a link to a scientific research paper written by some Germans. To my surprise the conclusion was that the best solution would be to put the input and output right next to eachother in the same corner.

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http://www.aq-technik.de/Aquarium-Tipps/aquarium-stroemungsverteilung.php?link=Aquarium-Tipps&name=aquarium-stroemungsverteilung.php&act=url

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That was me

For a two canister system I've found it best to have one on each side of the tank so that they push the water towards each other, making a circular flow.

Skysong87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys! It took me over 2 hours to move the fx5 and setup the new 2213 but it is now all done with one in one corner and one in the other corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom