Canister Filter Info

1. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello.

Looking for info. I recently acquired at 40 gallon breeder tank. I'm wanting to get it up and running ASAP. Which probably means it's going to take some time.

I've only ever dealt with HOB filters. Mostly Aquaclear models.

Question Time
    1. Would a canister work better? Or could I stick with two HOB?

2. Is Sun Sun a good model?

3. What size?

4. Should I pair a HOB with it for surface agitation and oxygen exchange?

5. How exactly does a canister work, hook up, and run?

6. What's an average canister price?

7. What else should I know?

2. scarface Well Known Member Member

@fissh has a lot of experience with Sun Suns.

3. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Was that supposed to tag someone? Also, I only asked about Sun Sun because it's the only name I know of for canisters.

4. Randi0411 Initiate Member

It's all preference. I like canisters because they are lower profile and I can put my tanks nearly flat to the walls with them. I know a lot of people that prefer HOBs too. I love SunSun's in fact I made a cheat sheet for them, I'll attach it as a pic. They are cheap too so if you decide HOBs are more your thing you can probably sell them for at least 1/2 of what you paid. Size is all up to you. Sunsun comes with a direct outflow or a spray bar. I use the direct outflow for botia loaches that like currents. I use the spray bar on my tetra tank to reduce the current. As long as you have enough surface movement you don't need a bubbler. (I keep a bubbler and air pump on hand in case of an emergency). My loach tank is 55 gallons, I have a 525 gph filter on it. My tetra tank has a 525 on it as well but with the spray bar and packed full of media that 90 gallon doesn't have a ton of current. I have a 106 gph on my 40 breeder with axolotls (they require zero current). You would want to get at least 264 gph with Sunsun.

The canister has an in take just like your HOB but the pump for it is inside the canister. The pump pulls in water takes the water through various baskets of media (you can put in whatever media you want, you never have to buy prepackaged specific things, I suggest starting your canister with your old media bag out of your HOB). Then the water flows back out into your tank. Sunsun's instructions totally suck. If you buy a Sunsun your better off watching a YouTube video on how to hook up the hoses than to try following the instructions.

Sunsuns typically run between $40 and $90 on Amazon. If you are happy with your HOBs I'd stay with them.

If you decide to go with a canister check the sizes to make sure it will fit where you want it to. Also I always set a pan under the canister before switching it on. If they start to leak or spill during cleaning they can make a huge mess.

Attached Files:

5. scarface Well Known Member Member

Yes. I just edited the typo. The only canister I own is a SunSun. I like it. No experience with the other brands. You mentioned that brand, and I know fissh is very familiar with it and probably knows what kind to get for your aquarium.

6. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

A canister works by using gravity to siphon out water from the aquarium into the canister itself. The water then passes through the filter media inside of the canister. Finally, a pump pumps water back into the aquarium.

The difference in each brand of canisters is usually how water flows through each component of the filter, the size of the canister, and sometimes tubing.

7. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I might just stay with HOB Aquaclear then.

The canisters don't really filter any better?

8. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

Canisters have the advantage of having more space inside of them compared to a HOB. So the thinking goes more media means better filtration.

If you aren't comfortable dealing with a big canister, sticking to an Aquaclear is still a viable option.

9. toolman Member Member

I just bought a Fluval 306 canister because I don't want too much surface agitation, that releases co2 from a planted tank.

I like hob filters, but they have their disadvantages. I have not had another brand canister but Fluvals are good also (more$,but lfs sells them and takes good care of me)

10. Randi0411 Initiate Member

In my opinion the only way they possibly filter water better is by having in take and out take on separate ends of the tanks. They aren't going to replace water changes, siphoning, and glass/plant cleaning.

11. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

No of course not. I just wondered if they produced better water clarity between water changes.

12. toolman Member Member

Canisters don't allow any water to bypass the filter either, hob's are notorious for this.

13. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

So better clarity?

14. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

More efficient, so you'll achieve clarity faster.

15. Goldfishkeeperplus Initiate Member

HEY CHECK OUT THE LINE OF CANISTERS BY FLUVAL, THEY ARE THE BEST IN MY BOOK.

16. fissh Well Known Member Member

I run 50 sunsun canisters, 22 are 304B, that's what I run on my 40 gallon breeder tanks. I grossly overstock these tanks with out having problems. Most of my sunsun's are 2 to 3 years old, they're still running great and I've never had a leak :) Some people say the sunsun's leak, but I think it's user error. I clean my filters every 3 months, and if I feel lazy, every 4 months! No matter which brand you choose, canisters will out perform HOB's You can get a 3o3B for a 40, but for the price difference I'd get the 304B
    200 Gallon Aquarium Canister Filter UV 9w UV Sterilizer Fish Tank SUNSUN HW-304B | eBay

17. max h Well Known Member Member

Canister filters will provide better water clarity, my tanks have crystal clear water.