Canister Filter For Replacement?

1. khoiho2

khoiho2 New Member Member

Hey guys :) I've recently been thinking about getting an Eheim 2213 canister filter to replace my old Penguin 350 HOB for my 45 gallon tank, but I honestly have no clue if I can set up a canister filter with a tank that already has fish and water in it (im also planning to put live plants) does anyone know if we can set up the filter with a tank with water and fish in it? Also id rlly appreciate it if you guys could show me how the filter works and if it's complicated as I see pictures that we have to drill into the stand and the tank.

2. N

NightShade Well Known Member Member

I just bought one myself, haven't set it up yet. But you may want to look on YouTube, I understand there are lots of videos showing the whole process.. aaannd I also havn't done that either lol. To answer your other question, I don't see any reason you can't install in an existing aquarium.. that's what I plan to do. I'll remove some of the water the same as a water change. Just to make it easier to position, but I'm not sure you really have to do that... someone correct me if I'm wrong tho please!

And, last, but most certainly not least, is that it is not necessary to drill any holes whatsoever in your tank (that's the beauty of it :) ) the hoses go up and over the rim, & back down into your tank one for inflow, & one for outflow. :)

Hopefully someone with ACTUAL experience will come along, lol! Just thought I'd give you a helpful (I hope!) bump!

3. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

You don't need to drill your tank all the tubes will come in over the glass (you may need to get your glass covers cut a little).

You just follow the instructions in the box was the media prime the pump and hey presto you have a canister.

Keep running your old filter for month or so until the new filter builds up some BB