Canister Filter Flow Rate- 40 Gallon Long

1. G

Galaxyfish New Member Member

I have a relatively new, cycled, 40 Gallon long, lightly planted tank. I currently have two HOB filters (very old but unused until this tank set up a few months ago,Penguin Biowheels). Their combined flow rate is about 250 gph. But, they aren't really getting the job done. I had to install a power head to get the detritus up from the bottom.
    I'm thinking of switching to a canister filter. I need it to be small and quiet, as it will have to sit on the table behind or beside the tank.
    What flow rate should I be aiming for?
    Any recommendations? I'm looking to keep the cost below $100.
    Thanks!

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It's tough to find a canister below $100 unless you either build your own or find a used one. You might want to look at Sun Sun canisters. They are cheap but they do come with ref flags.

Typically people say the flow should be 5-10x, I like to use around the 3-4x but that's just opinion. I would aim around 300 gph.

Canisters work more efficient if it's below the tank. So if you have it sitting on the side parallel to tank at same height you will have reduced flow which makes the canister inefficient. Having it below the tank will allow better flow.