Canister Filter, EcoSystem, WHAT?!?!?!?! Question

1. Nate41590 Member Member

Hey guys! My name is Nathan and i am super new at the whole forum thing, and i have some questions that i desperately need answering. Ok here goes. I have been doing soooo much research about saltwater setups and i have wanted one for years!! So for christmas my parents are getting me a 90 gallon take. I am responsible for paying for most of the equipment. So i want something that is still very effective, but not the most expensive. I know it is an expensive hobbie. My local fish store has a 120 gallon saltwater with live rock, protein skimmer, and a Marineland canister filter. It is a beautiful setup. And that is really all i want. I only want to keep a clown fish, a few damsels, a yellow tang, and a hippo tang. I have heard that the hippo is hard to prevent from getting ich. Is it really that hard? Anyway i dont plan on stocking the aquarium that heavily. Is a protein skimmer (Remora C), some live rock, and a canister filter enough? I would like to get by with the littlest amount of live rock possible as it is crazy expensive. there is a ehiem wet/dry canister filter, would it be a better choice than the marineland? The ehiem is suppost to introduce oxygen and create a wave like motion. Which would be better?? I also heard about an ECOSystem sump filter thing, with miracle mud. Does anyone know if those are good?? lol i know its a lot of questions but i really need someone who REALLY knows what they are talking about to tell me a straight forward answer. PS i dont really want to do a sump, its a lot of extra pumps and components, that i just dont really feel up to caring for. I like the idea of a canister with its all in one aspect. Ok thanks!!!!:;cr

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

hi, I have freshwater, so can't answer your questions. Just wanted to say, "welcome to fishlore!"

3. Nate41590 Member Member

haha thank you. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Nate and Welcome to Fish Lore. I'm sure some salt members will help you out before too long. I don't have salt experience. I do have a couple of links you may find interesting
    Live Rock for Saltwater Aquariums
    55 Gallon Tank: How much Live Rock and Sand?
    Best wishes. I hope you can share some photos once you're up and running.
    Ken

:animal0068:Hello. Please note that I have merged your duplicate threads. It will be a lot less confusing to other members and help you to keep your responses in the same place. Duplicates aren't necessary.
    Thanks!
    Ken

5. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

Hi nate ,, if keeping tangs i would reccomened a uv filter,, also what damsels was you thinking of as clowns are damsels and you shouldnt mix to many damsels as they are aggressive towards other damsels ,, also i would go for the Hagen Fluval 405 external filter , and as for skimmer instead of a remora c i would tend to go for a deltec mce600 for a hob skimmer as these are around the same price (well in uk they are) and work alot better , if a sump could be added to the system imo i would as they work a lot better then cannister filters and take less maintaince and less chance of nitrate build up ,,

6. Nate41590 Member Member

Im thinking about a Amphiprion ocellaris, Chrysiptera cyanea AKA Blue Damselfish or maybe a green/blue chromis. i also LOVE the Orchid Dottyback and the Fairy Basslet Royal Gramma. What does the UV filter do? Does anyone else find these helpful?? And i will def look into the filter and skimmer suggestions! Thank you very much for your input nemo addict! Im just a little afraid of a sump, i have done so much research, but still have not been able to 100% understand them. And the seem sooo much more expensive.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or comments???

:animal0068:Hello. I've merged your two posts since there was not a response between.
    Thanks!
    Ken

7. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Hi Nate41590.

90gal SW... Some things change over time in this hobby, some don't. I was kind of scared when I decided to go SW. I don't think a canister filter is a good idea for SW. In SW nitrates are much more important to keep as close to zero as possible than FW.

Don't trust the LFS much. Most of them (there are exceptions) will do what they need to to sell you whatever they need to sell.

Consider that you envision a Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR) tank today but you might want to move into keeping corals later on. Canister filter is not a good idea unless you use it solely as your granulated activated charcoal filtration system. A sump might look scary but is much simpler than it looks.

I suggest you go to ReefCentral and go through their Sticky "New-First Time to RC-Look Here for Answers" and read, read, read all the valuable info there is on setting up SW tanks. I spent most of 2009 reading about SW set ups before deciding in August to move in that direction:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

SW is almost another ballgame. Besides a few common things with FW (like using a tank to hold water) when you get to the details of it, things are different since the biodiversity is much richer. To get a stable cycled SW tank, it takes noticeably more time than in FW. The maturity of a tank is critical for some species.

Filtration is what I suggest you focus on (that includes the protein skimmer). Look for reviews on any equipment offered to you by the LFS. Ask questions and please, be patient.

Are you handy with DIY projects? building a sump is quite easy.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

8. Nate41590 Member Member

wow pepetj, i really appreciate your taking the time to help me out. I will most DEF be looking at that website that you suggested! I love to learn, and i am doing my best to be patient!:) i have read almost 6 books, ordering more, and spent hundreds of hours online researching. Its just so hard, because there are so many conflicting opinions. I completely agree with what you said about my LFS. they told me a heater for a 60-90 gallon tank would be ok....i think i should get something that is rated higher, seeing as how i live northern on the east coast, and it gets pretty cold. :;flake I am not very handy with DIY projects, however my parents are, so if you had any instructions/ suggestions i could possibly put those to good use. Also, which brand of salt mix do you prefer?? and Live sand & live rock, or just Sand & live rock? THANKS! :D