Canister Filter Debate and Questions

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by KZinsFish, Apr 19, 2012.

1. KZinsFishNew MemberMember

Hello Everyone on Fishlore!

I have purchased a new 65gallon tank and am planning on someday having a planted Angelfish tank.

I am working on purchasing equipment for my new tank and cannot decide what canister filter would be right for me.
    I am curious if any of you can way in with your experiences for me.
    I have never had a canister filter before and I like to always have quality items. I don't like to fool around with inferior hardware that doesn't work.

I have read articles and review for about a week now and have narrowed it down to these brands.
    Rena
    Marineland
    Eheim (although I think this is a bit pricey and from what I have read it isn't always what you pay for )

I have also read for a planted tank I am required to have 5-6 times the gallon per hour flow. That equals approximatly 390 gallons and have also read that going over is most definatly better than under.

Also, any thoughts on UV sterlizers built into the filter itself or do you suggest a seperate one?

Any suggestions would be fantastic. I would like to only have one filter if possible. Thank you*~

2. Lexi03Well Known MemberMember

Hello!
    I run a eheim classic 2217 on my 75gal tank, I love it. It is silent and it was easy to asemble even without the instructions( I got mine used). The intake and out take tubes are different diamiters, so you can't mix them up on accident.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I use a Fluval 306 in my 46 gallon tank and really like it alot. Prior to upgrading I had a Fluval 205 in my 36 gallon.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

welcome to the forum

I've got 12 canisters from 5 brands - the renas are definitely the best, with the aquatops (aka sunsun, perfect) not far behind. Factoring in price, they are tied. Fluvals come in third.

The sunsuns have built in UV, but I don't think it's useful for more than preventing green water. UV kills some things with a short exposure time (higher GPH), but other things need a longer exposure time (lower GPH), which would be unaffected by it with the built ins.

2 smaller filters are better than 1 bigger filter, but if you only want one I would go for the XP4. You might get away with the XP3, depend on what stock you'd like to keep.

5. OP
    OP
    K

KZinsFishNew MemberMember

These are definatly all great suggestions and comments.

Are your tanks planted? I would like to make a paradise for my Angelfish. (when in good time i get them) So definatly going to way in on the comments made and do more research. I guess two smaller filters makes since as well. hmmm. more thinking to do.

Thank You.... :)

6. iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

Planted or not, your tank will do great with a canister filter, as does any.

I would agree, the Rena XP4 would be great, but also 2 smaller filters would be better.

I have planted tanks that i run canisters on, and they operate very well. If you could go for it, i would say go for higher than 5-6 times the turnover with a filter that has a lot of volume to hold. That will decrease the chances of bad water quality and provide a bit of peace of mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice