Canister Filter Broke on 75 Gallon

1. ram38423 Initiate Member

My canister filter burnt out on my 75 gallon aquarium. Its been established for 3 year. Wont be able to by a new filter for a week or so.
    Would daily water changes be OK for the week?

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Is the motor burnt? Smoking? If not, you may just need to clean the impeller. Mine quit and I took it apart and discovered a snail lodged in the impeller assembly prohibiting the motor from turning.

3. ram38423 Initiate Member

The problem with the one I have (Aqua Top CF-500), everything is sealed inside. I have taken it apart the best it can, but I cant get right to the impeller. Ive seen some videos of guys using knives and chisels to get them open, but i'm not sure I want to do that.

The outter case where the motor is, its really hot. It will kick in, run for about 3 minutes then shut off. About 5 mins later, it will kick back in. About an hour ago, it stopped turning on all togeather. Its now been unplugged and I have 2 very small HOB filters working. They are not really doing much except keeping the water somewhat flowing.

I'm thinking of getting a submersible pond pump, putting it in the tank and having it pump right into the inlet of my canister filter...
    You think this would work?

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

It is worth a try.

5. ram38423 Initiate Member

Would daily water changes be sufficient for the week?

6. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

With two small filters I would put some media from the canister in them and run them. Keep up with Nitrates, Nitrites And ammonia

7. ram38423 Initiate Member

That was one of the first things I did. Im now getting a slight ammonia spike and the water is slowly starting to cloud...

8. Beretta Initiate Member

Get some prime to dose daily to help keep the ammonia and nitrite non toxic. I would also do large water changes at least once a day. The more the better. If you have a pond pump and can rig it to run the canister great. If not, put all the bio in the tank and have the pump push the water through the media.

9. ram38423 Initiate Member

Thanks for the replies.

My LFS has the Marineland C-160 on sale for $49.99 so I ended up buying four of them.Total flow rate is approximately 640 gph. I also have a 750 gph power heading moving water around.