Canister Filter And Water Change

1. sylviepld Member Member

Hi everyone. I have a 75 gallon tank with a Hydor 450 canister filter. I want to do a 25%-30% water change and was wondering if I have to turn off my filter to do it. I know you need to with the HOB filters but I thought maybe the canisters could handle it. Please let me know asap as I want to do my first water change on my new tank in a day or so. TIA

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't turn off my HOBs or canister filters unless the water change I'm doing is too large and the intakes would be exposed. You shouldn't have to turn your filter off for such a small change.

3. jmaldo Member Member

I turn my Eheim off due the position of my spraybar, I keep it at water level creating ripples on the surface. My HOB's I leave running. Since this is your 1st water change. Just a word of caution if you are using a heater in your tank, you do not want to expose it to air. My heaters are in different positions in each tank so I just unplug them during my water changes.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have my spray bar at the surface too, but the falling water during WCs doesn't bother the fish or the sand.

5. max h Well Known Member Member

I have a pair of Marieland Magniflow 360's that stay running during water changes. As TexasDomer said if the intakes stay submerged you're in good shape. Don't forget to turn off the heaters.

6. KO_ Member Member

I have a Hydor 350, I don't use the spray bar so I turn off the filter when doing a water change. Also, since my heater is plugged in right next to my filter it doesn't bother me to just unplug both.

7. SallImSayin Member Member

I have the 350, I leave mine in unles water level is getting close to intake. Unless I'm doing a massive water change I keep the Hydor and AQs on.

8. Jayd976 Member Member

I leave mine going unless as others said the water change will unsubmerge the intake then I turn it off.