Canister Dying.. Have I Done The Right Thing?

Tassie_Jules

New Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Experience
5 years
Help please, I really dont want to lose my fish or my cycle! My old Aqua One 750 canister has been working at about 30% capacity since yesterday morning, and I couldn't clear the impeller out as it's sealed (pretty sure some moss got sucked up). So I scrambled $ together and got a new one (unfortunately same $210 filter again as not enough $ hmm) and have it set up and running in the tank alongside the old filter. Have put mesh on both intakes now (should've done that before!). It's obviously got no bb in it at all, how long will it take for bb to grow in new canister? Or should I just pull out old filter and transfer media over? Any help appreciated :/
27gal freshwater community tank at 25°C
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,361
Reaction score
12,285
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Tassie_Jules said:
Help please, I really dont want to lose my fish or my cycle! My old Aqua One 750 canister has been working at about 30% capacity since yesterday morning, and I couldn't clear the impeller out as it's sealed (pretty sure some moss got sucked up). So I scrambled $ together and got a new one (unfortunately same $210 filter again as not enough $ hmm) and have it set up and running in the tank alongside the old filter. Have put mesh on both intakes now (should've done that before!). It's obviously got no bb in it at all, how long will it take for bb to grow in new canister? Or should I just pull out old filter and transfer media over? Any help appreciated :/
27gal freshwater community tank at 25°C
Is there space in the new one to put the media if the old one in Tassie ?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Tassie_Jules

New Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Experience
5 years
DoubleDutch said:
Is there space in the new one to put the media if the old one in Tassie ?
Thanks for replying, both canisters are exactly the same, so I can transfer the trays with the media over... should I just do that?
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,361
Reaction score
12,285
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, do that. The bacteria won't die off.
If the waterflow of the new one reduces afterwards, the media could be closed down btw, but check that.

Think you should be able to reach the impellor of the old one btw (after swapping media).


Tassie_Jules said:
Thanks for replying, both canisters are exactly the same, so I can transfer the trays with the media over... should I just do that?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Tassie_Jules

New Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Experience
5 years
DoubleDutch said:
Yes, do that. The bacteria won't die off.
If the waterflow of the new one reduces afterwards, the media could be closed down btw, but check that.

Think you should be able to reach the impellor of the old one btw (after swapping media).
Ok will do that now, and check the media. Then I'll try and sort out the impeller. thanks heaps
Thankyou
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Messages
18,361
Reaction score
12,285
Points
798
Experience
More than 10 years
Your welcome. Check if the i let isn't clogged. Canisters only pump out, so whem.less water flows in, less will come out.

But that all after swapping !
Tassie_Jules said:
Ok will do that now, and check the media. Then I'll try and sort out the impeller. thanks heaps
Thankyou
 

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
491
Points
83
From your profile.. you have a lot of fish in there for a 27g. You may want to start another thread asking about it, I'm not sure but you may have issues when they start getting bigger.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Tassie_Jules

New Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Experience
5 years
TexasGuppy said:
From your profile.. you have a lot of fish in there for a 27g. You may want to start another thread asking about it, I'm not sure but you may have issues when they start getting bigger.
Thankyou. All my fish survived this dilemma, plus also survived 24 hours of near disaster on Thursday/Friday due to a massive early winter storm, had no electricity and my property was flooded. Must have very healthy and hardy critters! Literally went into survival mode and heated 20 litres of drained tank water on the wood fire every 3 hours and used a 12V compressor (used to blow up airbeds when camping) to aerate the water constantly... all whilst digging ditches and diverting water outside lol. So it's been a massive week! Your comments are appreciated and timely ... the 6 Angelfish are all juveniles atm, but I've been worried about them since I realised I couldn't say no to the other colour variations ! Did originally say no more when I had 2... but now have 6 little ones. Hoping they naturally start to pair off and I can see which mate they prefer, prior to myself splitting them betwen the new tanks I’m now planning. Have ordered 2 x 220 gallon tanks and will set up and cycle them asap. Basically going through a huge learning curve with this small but much loved community tank, and am thankful for any advice. Cheers Jules
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Tassie_Jules

New Member
Messages
22
Reaction score
4
Points
3
Experience
5 years
DoubleDutch said:
Your welcome. Check if the i let isn't clogged. Canisters only pump out, so whem.less water flows in, less will come out.

But that all after swapping !
Managed to get the impeller out of the old canister, it was a tangled mess and unserviceable. Have ordered new impeller, so hoping I can bring the old one back online soon - as additional filtration until I can set up additional larger tanks,
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom