Question Canister Disaster

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I decided to completely clean my canister this weekend, I routinely change the filter pads & carbon monthly, but I always wondered about the hoses, intake, etc. I have cascade 1000, the hoses are a black color. I got the 66 inch long brushes from amazon Saturday, decided to tackle it today. Them hoses were so gross & only after 6 months, it was like that slimy stuff on the inside of HOB, but 3x worse, this was all through that black hose, but thick. So, it took me and my daughter about 2 hrs to totally & throughly clean all hoses & attachments, intake, impeller everything. I keep cleaning the hoses until the water ran clean. Now this is my first canister filter, I’ve mainly used HOB’s and once had trickle filter- (that didn’t last long). HOB’s are easy to clean & change cartridges, no gunk ever built up in my HOB as nasty as this stuff. Cascade Filter seems to run much better, Do canister filters hoses and such get like this all the time?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I have a Sunsun 303b canister that been running for 8 years now. The hoses are green and I can see through them just fine. Never cleaned them at all.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Canisters are the filter of non cleaners [well every 6 months maybe ].
Now you know one of the reasons why ..Has it leaked yet ?
60 + tanks for me ,less the 1 canister filter ...
They are not fish /user friendly IMO at all ..
I always wonder how it could have been cleaning your water when I hear these stories ..I hear these stories pretty often ..
No cansister for me thankyou ..
Dumb and loving Aquaclear !

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol yes Tiffani they do get that dirty. I will clean mine every third time I clean the filter. You know there dirty when you see the blow off on the restart of the filter. Do you have a pre-filter sponge on the intake?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your hoses are getting that dirty that quick, sounds to me you have some bypass around the media trays. I looked on Youtube and found that this might be the issue.

The user says it is a 'design flaw' with Cascades.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Still waiting to read about the disaster part . . .

I've used canisters, HOBs, and internals. The real benefit with canisters I feel is water flow and mechanical filtration. I especially notice the difference in barebottom tanks. But if I'm really honest, with the amount of water changes I do, I can't really see a benefit over the other filters. Well, some may say larger media capacity equates to a larger bacteria colony, but serious hobbyists and breeders have been using simple sponge filters alone for years. Extra media capacity is pointless if biological filtration is already met. In other words, amount of bacteria is directly proportional to fish stock; that is, bioload.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now you know one of the reasons why ..Has it leaked yet ?
60 + tanks for me ,less the 1 canister filter ...
They are not fish /user friendly IMO at all ..
I always wonder how it could have been cleaning your water when I hear these stories ..I hear these stories pretty often ..
No cansister for me thankyou ..
Dumb and loving Aquaclear !
Yes, I feel you. I used to use under gravel filters, sponge, etc. and HOB filters of different brands. The canister is supposed to be better, so I broke down & bought 2 of them this yr. but, if I have go through cleaning these hoses all the time like this, idk.

And I maintain all my filters faithfully canister & HOB. because I have asthma & sinus problems, honestly I can’t take the funky stinky tank smell. That’s part of the reason I stopped using prime, the smell. So, I make sure I faithfully change carbon & filter floss monthly, but it does no good if it’s running through dirty hoses. And the hoses are black on cascade filters. I expected a film on them, but I didn’t think they’d clog up like that. It was super tedious to take apart those hoses today & really scrub them clean☹.

Lol yes Tiffani they do get that dirty. I will clean mine every third time I clean the filter. You know there dirty when you see the blow off on the restart of the filter. Do you have a pre-filter sponge on the intake?
Hello
No, I do not have prefilter on my cascade. But if that will alleviate us having go through that again, I’ll go order them off Amazon tonight.
That was miserable☹. It’s was tedious taking it all apart, cleaning & putting back together again. But, I love my fish. I do what I have to make them happy. Thank you for the info.

If your hoses are getting that dirty that quick, sounds to me you have some bypass around the media trays. I looked on Youtube and found that this might be the issue.

The user says it is a 'design flaw' with Cascades.
Thank you . I’m look that up, cause cleaning those hoses, intake, impeller, etc. was really gross today. Someone else suggested prefilter, I’m order one of those ASAP. I’m not real proficient in canister filters, these are the first I’ve ever owned. It was easy enough to put together, easy enough to change media monthly. Never flooded on me, yet. First time to take all apart & put back together- horrible. I’ve always had HOB’s, sponges and internals over past decade.

You have to clean the hoses every third time you change media? I change my filter pads & carbon every month just like I do on my HOB in smaller thank. of course clean out the canister & trays, I leave bio media alone. But I didn’t know you had to clean hoses, etc. that often, thank you.

Thor555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a "stereotype" you shouldn't allow yourself to fall victim to.

Mine have always been cleaned monthly.

You will still build up that "nast" in the pipe though. You get it in the AC HOB's too ... I have three of those.

There shouldn't be any "wars" between canister owners and HOB owners. I think canister owners who don't have an HOB are wasting the back wall of their aquarium - where they could stick one or more HOB's to help augment filtration.

I would say something similar to HOB-only fish keepers. Usually there's a space under the aquarium and an electrical outlet nearby - why not use it to stick a canister which you can stuff with way more biomedia and other types of filtration than you can get with an HOB?

Bottom line is ... they are both critical to filtration. My personal belief is that a fishkeeper who uses both is ahead of the game.

Thor555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your hoses are getting that dirty that quick, sounds to me you have some bypass around the media trays.
That will, of course be a cause sometimes. However, I have FILTER boosters on the inlet of all my canister filters - and still get that stuff. There's zero bypass in a filter booster.

I also see the stuff build up slowly in the inlet pipes of HOB filters I have.

It's just something that needs to be cleaned more than once every six months. Filter maintenance should be done at least monthly - and it should include the pipes, imo.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I allways find build up in the hoses. Allways thought it was bio-film. Yes both filter have there benefits and are good together.
What are you referring to as a filter booster? An intake sponge? If so yes they are great on both types of filters.

Thor555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I allways find build up in the hoses. Allways thought it was bio-film. Yes both filter have there benefits and are good together.
What are you referring to as a filter booster? An intake sponge? If so yes they are great on both types of filters.
This is a filter booster ... https://www.amazon.com/Sunsun-38439-Modular-Canister-Filter/dp/B00INCS6PS/ref=pd_sbs_199_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00INCS6PS&pd_rd_r=3afef10f-cba7-4892-af06-5a6a8db88f4b&pd_rd_w=jeXkM&pd_rd_wg=5h3PL&pf_rd_p=d66372fe-68a6-48a3-90ec-41d7f64212be&pf_rd_r=V03JQR9FM5X7JEG5Q76E&psc=1&refRID=V03JQR9FM5X7JEG5Q76E

I'm NOT advocating them. I like 'em for me but everyone has their own tastes. It's one more thing to clean. They make priming slightly more difficult. They may even slow flow of your existing filter a bit.

But for me, in my tanks and the way I have them set up - they're indispensable. I might encourage someone who has an overstocked tank or goldfish to look at them and see if they're something they might be interested in - but I rarely recommend specific products to people simple because every fish keeper is different in his or her habits and expectations.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I cleaned the hoses on my Hydor 600 after it's first year of running it.

I used the nozzle from the garden hose to blast water through them first. Next I filled a 5 gallon bucket up with water and very diluted bleach solution for a 30 min soak of the hoses.

After a thorough rinse I let the hoses soak in clean water with a heavy dose of dechlorinator.

They looked brand new again on the inside.

The Cascade canisters are very similar to the Hydor in construction. I think the actually share some components.

I have found they will bypass some water through the baskets. Water enters the canister and travels down the inner chute built into the baskets, then enters the bottom of the canister body and finally flows back up through the media in the baskets.

Water takes the path of least resistance, so some of the water by-passes by rising upward and around the outside of the stacked baskets. Since there are no gaskets or seals where the baskets stack together, water that flows along the outside will enter back into the top baskets where they join together.

I had solved this by wrapping the outside of the bottom 2 baskets with some extra 100 micron pad material I already had.

*bottom basket before cleaning
20190810_111236.jpg

*bottom basket with fresh media
20190810_131057.jpg

Having the bottom 2 baskets wrapped like this would block the water (or at least trap the muck) from by-passing around the sides. After the first time doing this, the subsequent cleanings resulted in the media in the top baskets being a lot cleaner than before.

Another member on the forum did something similar with his Cascade, and now I follow that method with baskets 3-5.

I take spare Polyfil and use a bamboo skewer to poke some of loose Polyfil material in the area between the basket and inside wall of the canister.

20190810_134851.jpg

It's hard to see in the pic, but you get the idea. It works very well in my experience.

In regards to sponge pre-filters on the intake tube, both of my canisters and all of my hang on back filters use one.

I like using the ATI Filter Max III. I buy ATI products online from Ken's Fish website, but other places like Jehmco, Aquacave and Amazon have them. They are about $7-$10 depending on where you get them.

These aren't the most aesthetically pleasing contraptions, but can be hidden behind plants, rockwork and decor.

They have a coarse foam so they dont restrict flow, they are modular so their parts are interchangeable with other ATI sponge filters, and they include fittings and adapters so they can be used on any intake tube that has a round end.

20190731_091857.jpg

Whatever brand of sponge pre-filter you get, here is a good tip when it's time to remove it for cleaning....

Unplug the canister and use a 1 gallon ziploc bag to wrap around the sponge. Pinch the open end shut (the ziploc doesnt need to be sealed, just wrap it closed the best you can) and remove the pre-filter from the tank.

This method eliminates the muck from being released back into your tank water. Pre-filters will catch a ton of muck! They work so well I my experience, you can extend the cleaning interval of the main filter media.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom