Canine dewormer for camallanus worms

SuperSword48

I bought some safeguard canine dewormer that has granules of 22.2% fenbendazole. Can I make a water mixture of this and put it into the tank? And does anybody know the dosage amounts?

LowConductivity

No.

Can’t dose it in solution, fish won’t absorb it. However….if you can get them to eat it, it would work.

best options for in solution treatment are levamisole, and Flubendazole

SuperSword48

No.

Can’t dose it in solution, fish won’t absorb it. However….if you can get them to eat it, it would work.

best options for in solution treatment are levamisole, and Flubendazole
I’ve read that people have crushed the granules and dissolved them in hot water. That won’t work?

mimo91088

I've only ever seen success with levamisole personally

SuperSword48

I've only ever seen success with levamisole personally
I have some coming but I have dying fish and am really desperate to do something in the meantime. Is waiting a better option then?

LowConductivity

I’ve read that people have crushed the granules and dissolved them in hot water. That won’t work?
And that’s how the internet gets folks in trouble.

If you’ve got your heart set on using a wormer in solution, levamisole and Flubendazole are your friends. Fenbendazole is not.

crowningSapphire

Well darn. I just joined this forum today to get help with camallanus worms too, and I've been using fenbendazole (using safeguard as well). I ordered levamisole off amazon because I couldn't find it anywhere else, but I got fenbendazole from my local fish store to use in the meantime.

I've been soaking frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp in a mixture of 1/8th of a tsp in a little bit of water and feeding it to my infected guppies, and there's been pretty much no change in 24 hours. Still have visible worms. One of my guppies has died already and I'm very worried... hope the levamisole gets here soon.

LowConductivity

Well darn. I just joined this forum today to get help with camallanus worms too, and I've been using fenbendazole (using safeguard as well). I ordered levamisole off amazon because I couldn't find it anywhere else, but I got fenbendazole from my local fish store to use in the meantime.

I've been soaking frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp in a mixture of 1/8th of a tsp in a little bit of water and feeding it to my infected guppies, and there's been pretty much no change in 24 hours. Still have visible worms. One of my guppies has died already and I'm very worried... hope the levamisole gets here soon.
Freeze dried foods are your friend when trying to sneak soaked meds in

Cinabar

I have some coming but I have dying fish and am really desperate to do something in the meantime. Is waiting a better option then?
You can make gel food with fenbendazole, or soaked pellets. As others have said, it is only effective when consumed. It’s not a fast acting cure though, takes 2-4 weeks to fully purge, so if you have fish dying go straight to levamisole.

SuperSword48

Does anyone know if camallanus worms can be resistant to both levamisole fenbendazole? I’ve heard that but I wanted to know if anyone has experienced that? Also I heard of this other aquatic medicine called nematol, has anyone used that?

LowConductivity

Does anyone know if camallanus worms can be resistant to both levamisole fenbendazole? I’ve heard that but I wanted to know if anyone has experienced that? Also I heard of this other aquatic medicine called nematol, has anyone used that?
Can be resistant....sure, I suppose its possible. The internet seems to say that a lot. Have I ever encountered resistant worms, no.

SuperSword48

Can be resistant....sure, I suppose its possible. The internet seems to say that a lot. Have I ever encountered resistant worms, no.
There really isn’t a lot of consistent information is there?

LowConductivity

There really isn’t a lot of consistent information is there?
I’d wager a fair amount of the “resistant” camallanus stories come from meds being used improperly. Fenbendazole being dosed in the water column….levamisole being dosed in a tank next to a window, ect

SuperSword48

I’d wager a fair amount of the “resistant” camallanus stories come from meds being used improperly. Fenbendazole being dosed in the water column….levamisole being dosed in a tank next to a window, ect
That sounds about right. Have you experienced fenbendazole being slow to act like cinabar said?

LowConductivity

That sounds about right. Have you experienced fenbendazole being slow to act like cinabar said?
I have not (with a big asterisk). I really don't use fenbendazole all that often, I'm more of a fan of its cousin flubendazole (and its ability to be dosed to the water column).

SuperSword48

I have not (with a big asterisk). I really don't use fenbendazole all that often, I'm more of a fan of its cousin flubendazole (and its ability to be dosed to the water column).
Have you found flubendazole to be slow acting lol?

LowConductivity

Have you found flubendazole to be slow acting lol?
No, I have not.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
HolyKamikaziBetta
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
ParkerS